www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: Lincoln Sparrow & Tennessee Wren  ( 4856 )

dTackett

• : 223
    • Fishead Tackle
Lincoln Sparrow & Tennessee Wren
« : December 27, 2010, 03:35:23 PM »
Lincoln Sparrow & Tennessee Wren? Please lt me know if I am not correct.

Lincoln Sparrow

Tennessee Wren

Dave Tackett
Sterling IL
http://www.fisheadtackle.com

Greg Neise

• Administrator
  • : 4439
  • IBF Owner/Administrator
    • In Plain Sight Communication
Re: Lincoln Sparrow & Tennessee Wren
« #1 : December 27, 2010, 03:59:16 PM »
Song Sparrow and Carolina Wren.
"Only the impossible always happens"
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

bill rudden

• : 1220
« #2 : December 27, 2010, 04:30:30 PM »
Nice pics Dave.  Can you reference the name Tennessee Wren?

dTackett

• Fishead Tackle
« #3 : December 28, 2010, 05:43:53 AM »
Thanks Greg & Bill.

I cannot not reference tenn. wren, lol, I saw it was Carolina but having a fever and bad short term memory for names anyway, I made an error. I will always remember it forever now though. The Lincoln and Song Sparrow look a similar, but I see now that the Song Sparrow has more white on breast and they aren't usually found in this region.

Dave Tackett
Sterling IL

Dan Williams

• : 344
« #4 : December 28, 2010, 01:37:10 PM »
Dave,

What book and range maps are you using?  Song Sparrow is common in IL (slightly less so in northern IL in winter) but can be found in northern IL on most days in winter if you check the right habitat. 

Dan

dTackett

• Fishead Tackle
« #5 : December 28, 2010, 03:42:05 PM »
Its not the book, it was my error, the book showed song sparrow being more common in our region, the spots just didn't look as detailed in the one I photographed. It shows the lincoln as yellow color on map, making it a possibility and I remember seeing the lincoln talked about in here. I do have the sibley book and it is a big help, would have been better if the lincoln and song were side by side since they are so similar though. Also, I do make errors but I have been really sick the last few days, so not too surprised I made mistakes.
Dave Tackett
Sterling IL

dTackett

• Fishead Tackle
« #6 : December 28, 2010, 03:44:33 PM »
One after thought, I am a beginner but I have come a long way this year, I know quite a few birds now and I can even recognize some from sounds.
Dave Tackett
Sterling IL

Rich Laramore

• County Wiki Editors
  • : 475
  • Amateur Naturalist
    • Nature Close Up- All the small things. My blog.
« #7 : December 28, 2010, 06:42:12 PM »
Dave I hear you about coming a long way this year. Before I came upon this place late last year I did not even know what a warbler was. The inspiration and information I have found here is what got me going. I hope to turn the knowledge gained this year into greater success in the field next.

I have not seen a Lincoln Sparrow, or identified one I should say. I have seen Song sparrow a few times and I would not be surprised if one of those was a Lincoln's misidentified by me. Given that I will give you my take from many photos/illustrations I have seen online and in guides of Lincoln's.

The streaking is different in both pattern and colors on the two birds. Lincoln's breast streaking is neater and usually darker brown than it's crown stripes, almost closer to black. Song's streaks are usually more of a warm brown color, close to the same as it's crown stripes, and are messy. The central spot on the Song's breast is larger, irregularly shaped like a blotch, and the same color as the striping. The Lincoln's central spot is  much smaller, more like a spot. Some Lincoln's show hardly any breast spot at all. The Song Sparrow's sides, breast, and flanks that it's stripes cover are the same color as it's belly, and the Lincoln's sides, breast and flanks are more of a buffy tan color with a greyish white belly. Lincolns have more grey in the head/nape than song. Coloration and pattern seems to vary alot in these two sparrows though.

It also appears to me that the beak is a good way to differentiate. Song Sparrow has a pretty heavy bill, particularly the upper mandible. This makes the Song Sparrow look like it has less of a forehead and flatter head than the Lincoln sparrow. The mandibles on the Lincoln appear  to be more or less the same size and make more of an acute triangle. This gives it the appearance of having a big forehead and a more rounded head. The silhouette of the song sparrows head and beak would look like a sideways tear drop, and the Lincoln's would look like a circle with a triangle stuck to the front of it.

Like I said I haven't seen a Lincoln's yet in my 1 whole year of bird watching so I don't have field experience with them. If I have mixed anything up I would appreciate someone pointing it out for me. I bet I will recognize one now after all the studying up I did on them just now to make this post.

P.S.  The Nat. Geo. guide has the Song and Lincoln sparrows right next to each other. The text and info in the Sat. Geo. guide is not as good though, especially the range maps.
« : December 28, 2010, 07:30:38 PM Rich Laramore »
I eBird, do YOU? www.ebird.org

My nature blog. www.naturecloseup.blogspot.com/

bill rudden

• : 1220
« #8 : December 28, 2010, 07:14:10 PM »
One after thought, I am a beginner but I have come a long way this year, I know quite a few birds now and I can even recognize some from sounds.

Dave your a fine naturalist.  I always enjoy your post.

Your openness as a beginner is refreshing. 
Don't be afraid to make mistakes.  I've made one myself.:o

Michael Retter

• : 909
    • Xenospiza.com
« #9 : December 28, 2010, 07:57:46 PM »
It shows the lincoln as yellow color on map, making it a possibility

That yellow color means "migration only"( = spring and fall); since it's the dead of winter, we should only be seeing birds that are blue (winter only) or purple (year-round residents) in the maps right now. Song Sparrow is in the latter group. Then again, as the saying goes, "Birds have wings..." That's what makes birding so exciting: you never know for certain what you'll see.
« : December 29, 2010, 07:46:27 AM Michael Retter »
Michael Retter
Fort Worth, TX
http://aba.org/birdersguide/editor.html

Nathan Goldberg

• : 477
« #10 : December 28, 2010, 11:51:40 PM »

That yellow color means "migration only"; since it's the dead of winter, we should only be seeing birds that are blue (winter only) or purple (year-round residents) in the maps right now. Song Sparrow is in the latter group. Then again, as the saying goes, "Birds have wings..." That's what makes birding so exciting: you never know for certain what you'll see.

Michael, what about Gray/Green dots?  ;D

Michael Retter

• Xenospiza.com
« #11 : December 29, 2010, 07:46:57 AM »

That yellow color means "migration only"; since it's the dead of winter, we should only be seeing birds that are blue (winter only) or purple (year-round residents) in the maps right now. Song Sparrow is in the latter group. Then again, as the saying goes, "Birds have wings..." That's what makes birding so exciting: you never know for certain what you'll see.

Michael, what about Gray/Green dots?  ;D

I take it you don't really want me to answer that. ;-)
Michael Retter
Fort Worth, TX

dTackett

• Fishead Tackle
« #12 : December 29, 2010, 08:10:36 AM »
Don't be afraid to make mistakes.  I've made one myself

But then you found out you were mistaken, it wasn't a mistake... Ha ha, funny.

That yellow color means "migration only"

You never know anymore with the weather we get these days, with the months turned around backwards. I am still seeing new birds show up at the feeders that I have never seen before, this one below just showed up yesterday:

Meadowlark (western?)
Dave Tackett
Sterling IL

Michael Retter

• Xenospiza.com
« #13 : December 29, 2010, 08:35:51 AM »
That sure does look like a Western Meadowlark, Dave. The yellow goes way up onto the malar. Do you have any shots of its central tail feathers from behind?

I've never heard of meadowlarks attending bird feeders; how odd.
Michael Retter
Fort Worth, TX

Joan Norek

• : 279
    • The Law Office of Joan I. Norek
« #14 : December 29, 2010, 10:21:00 AM »
Dave and Rich,

Another "certain" way to distinguish a Lincoln's from a Song -- the buffy background to the breast streaking.

I have read/heard many, many ways, and perhaps I am incapable of judging the refinement of the streaking, but none of those other methods work for me.

This of course might not work for you.

Joan Norek

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link