On June 14th and 15th, Carl Bendorf of Iowa Young Birders, Josh Engel, and I hosted the Iowa & Illinois Young Birder Weekend
along our common border, the Mississippi River. While there were challenges to the weekend including strong winds and gnat swarms, through early post-event survey results, we are pleased to announce that the event was an overwhelming success in the eyes of our young birders and families.
Many months of careful planning went into this event. Here are just a few highlights from the weekend:
- Attendance by 24 young birders and their families from three states including Iowa, Illinois, and Wisconsin
- More than 100 species of birds observed
- Guided field trips in Iowa to Green Island Wildlife Management Area and Illinois to Mississippi Palisades State Park and the Lost Mound Unit of the Upper Mississippi River National Wildlife and Fish Refuge
- Donations provided by Eagle Optics, authors Richard Crossley and Margaret Barker, and others
- Event t-shirts designed by Karen Gross
- Photography and videography provided by Tim Frakes Productions
- Group lunch and dinner
- An evening program with 2010 ABA Young Birder of Year Recipient, Rachael Butek of Colfax, WI
Here's a brief video recap of our event
Illinois Young Birders is a special project of the Illinois Ornithological Society.
Matthew Cvetas, Chair - Illinois Young Birdershttp://www.illinoisyoungbirders.org/https://www.facebook.com/ILYoungBirders