www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: IBird pro  ( 7026 )

steviegee

• Fledgeling
  • : 12
IBird pro
« : November 12, 2009, 02:29:12 PM »
My Wife recently bought the IBird package app from Apple for the I-phone we both have.  I have to say it is pretty comprehensive in coverage for relative new comers to US birding.  It has the usual for a field guide, illustrations and distribution maps, but it  also has recordings of calls, photos and a "birding Britannica" encyclopedia.  So far it has been pretty useful for us here as we learn a different suite of species than those I grew up with in Britain.  Additionally we have loaded up a mike app so we can also record calls for reference checking later, and of course you can get pretty god shots on the I-Phone camera. I believe there is a zoom app available.   The I-Bird pro is 30$ and the mike app 10$ a bargain.  This is a great t  ID tool for the field.  I would have loved to have had this years ago.  Downside is you need an I-phone.

Fran Morel

• ILRBA TEST
  • : 1277
Re: IBird pro
« #1 : December 01, 2009, 05:03:10 PM »
I have this app, and I'd rate it as ok.  One of their "selling points" of buying the pro version is that all future updates will be free.  I've only received one update since I bought the app at least 6 months ago. 

My biggest disappointment is the IBird's lack of pictures on different plumages.  I would think something like this could easily be more comprehensive than a book, but this falls far short of any of the basic field guides.

My biggest use for this is when a friend asks me about a bird they saw and I don't have a field guide.  In the field I still carry my Sibley's and this has a long ways to go before I'll use this instead. 

Fran

Steve Gent

• : 610
« #2 : December 02, 2009, 02:46:55 PM »
Points taken, I guess the way to go would be a hybrid form using Sibley with supplemental information, one can dream

Mark Swanson

• Official Gadfly
  • : 584
    • Swanson Media Photography: Nature & Wildlife Photography
« #3 : December 03, 2009, 02:25:35 PM »
Looks like iBird has a new competitor... just announced today by eBird: BirdsEye iPhone app

BTW... I believe all of these apps also work on an iPod touch.
« : December 03, 2009, 04:26:47 PM syncrasy »
Mark Swanson

My nature photos:
Birds | Butterflies & Skippers | Damselflies | Dragonflies | Spiders & Kin | more...

My nature videos:
Nature Videos by Swanson Media (YouTube)

Fran Morel

• ILRBA TEST
« #4 : December 03, 2009, 03:29:33 PM »
I'll check it out.

Fran

birdbaum

• : 76
« #5 : August 14, 2013, 11:55:02 AM »
Four years later, how do you all feel?  I've used iBird Pro for about 3 years.  I've tried many others, but I personally consider iBird the gold standard.  I also use BirdsEye. but only to find eBird hotspots and recent sightings in a particular area.

I do NOT record my sightings via an app.  I still use the web interface.

C'mon Shazam...I'm still waiting for your bird call app :-)

brewbird1

« #6 : August 14, 2013, 12:34:39 PM »
All-

I pretty much stick to the Sibley app.  Beats hauling book(s) around.  I do have the Audubon app, but only because it was on sale for 99 cents or something insane like that.  Also, the BirdsEye app and I used that for the eBird sightings when I am away from a computer.  I don't have the IBird pro app but I'll have to look into it. 

Eric

Fran Morel

• ILRBA TEST
« #7 : August 14, 2013, 12:42:49 PM »
I use the Sibley app 99% of the time, which I believe was not yet available when this thread began in 2009.

Fran

Steve Gent

• : 610
« #8 : August 14, 2013, 02:59:11 PM »
I-bird is constantly updating and getting better.  I use it a fair bit especially when traveling.  I can't say it better than the others because I haven't really checked them out.  It was reasonably priced.  I would really like to get a Shazam type app.  It would be so much help in the field especially when going to unfamiliar parts of the US. 

Joe Lill

• ILRBA TEST
  • : 193
« #9 : May 07, 2014, 06:04:53 AM »
I like I-Bird Pro. I find that (now) it has alternate calls that are very useful. I can't tell you how many times people play songs/calls on their apps, then I play I-Bird's and they say, "yep, that's what I heard." I was one of my biggest complainers early on, (they didn't have the actual Prothonotary call, only the chip note!) but I'm good now. It'll be interesting to hear if any long-time I-Bird app users have found something better.
Joe
« : May 12, 2014, 05:18:50 AM Joe Lill »

Ron Skleney

• Global Moderator
  • : 213
« #10 : May 11, 2014, 11:50:37 AM »
I agree Joe.  The only field guide app that I use in the field is iBird Pro.  I find it helpful to recall warbler songs/calls in the field.
Ron

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link