www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: Nikon Action 8x40 Binocular  ( 16732 )

Greg Neise

• Administrator
  • : 4439
  • IBF Owner/Administrator
    • In Plain Sight Communication
Nikon Action 8x40 Binocular
« : February 09, 2008, 07:47:49 AM »

By C. J. Campbell (Redford twp., Mi United States)

Nikon Action 8x40

Nikon's Action series has always been their entry level effort. The series has gone through some pretty radical changes over the years. Nikon seems to be much more adventuresome at this price point than they are in their top of the line products. The latest Action binoculars all feature aspheric lens technology.

The Action 8x40 is probably the glass of most interest to birders. It is a wide angle design, with 8.5 of field (that translates to 446 feet at 1000 yards), a close focus in the 12 foot range and eye relief of about 10mm. The limited eye relief means that spectacle wearers will not see the full field (what else is new?)...but the usable field for most people will still be relatively wide when compared to most 8x40s on the market (especially in this price range). The body is mat gray armored. The smooth armor is sufficiently tacky to provide a good grip, but some gripping aids (ridges or patterns) might have made it more secure in the hands. Body design is standard porroprism, and comfortable in the hands, with a large comfortable ribbed focus control. However the focus might be a stretch for those with real small hands.

Optically, the Nikon Action 8x40 gives the extra bright, extra sharp first impression that I have come to associate with Nikon's applications of aspheric technology. While the view is not the equal of that provided by glasses like the Swift Ultralite 8x42 glasses which cost over twice as much as the Nikon Action 8x40, it is certainly very close.

When compared to the current BVD Reference Standard for bargain binoculars, the Bushnell 8x42 NatureView, the Nikon Action 8x40 is slightly brighter, with a bit more snap (likely due to the lack of multi-coating on the NatureView). The NatureView, however, has much better eye relief and a bit more comfortable view. While the NatureView retains its Reference Standard designation for the moment, the Nikon Action 8x40 are certainly very fine binoculars in the same price range...a BVD Starred Product, highly recommended to anyone who wants bird-worthy binoculars on a budget. Really, if you start birding with the Egrets, it may be a long time before you feel the need to upgrade, and it will certainly spoil you for many a lesser glass that just happens to cost more.

The Nikon Action series binoculars utilize aspherical lenses, ergonomic chassis, and quick central focus to maximize long term viewing comfort. All models feature high light transmission, multicoated lenses and high index BaK-4 prisms for superior resolution and brightness.

Buy them!
« : July 22, 2008, 06:55:29 AM Greg Neise »
"Only the impossible always happens"
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Greg Neise

• Administrator
Re: Nikon Action 8x40 Binocular
« #1 : February 09, 2008, 08:26:51 AM »
I have had a pair of these glasses since the early 90s  (from back when they were called the "Egret"). Plainly put, they're bright, sharp, nearly indestructible and won't break the bank. Mine have seen numerous trips to the Amazon and Central America, and have been dropped, rained-on, left in a dugout canoe for a week...
...I still use them as my back-up pair, but mostly they sit by the back window...ready for when something good flys in to the feeders in my yard.

In my opinion, these are the best binoculars for beginning birders.

-greg neise

Kristin Dulcan

• : 151
« #2 : February 11, 2008, 12:52:30 PM »
Greg,  First thanks for setting up this section!  On to binoculars, so far I've used my zoom lens to look, but want to add binoculars to my gear.  As much as I like Amazon, I'd like to get a feel for the binoculars before I buy.  Can you recommend a store in Chicago (I don't have a car) that has a good selection?  Kristin

Greg Neise

• Administrator
« #3 : February 11, 2008, 01:00:47 PM »
Greg,  First thanks for setting up this section!  On to binoculars, so far I've used my zoom lens to look, but want to add binoculars to my gear.  As much as I like Amazon, I'd like to get a feel for the binoculars before I buy.  Can you recommend a store in Chicago (I don't have a car) that has a good selection?  Kristin

...hmmm, that's a good question. Erehwon Mountain Outfitter at North Ave. and Sheffield carries Nikon binoculars, and I believe that Wolf Camera does also. I would also check Helix at Racine and Jackson.

Having said all that, unless you hit some kind of blow-out sale, you will always get a better price via Amazon or Eagle Optics online. So you may want to go test drive at the store, then order them on the web.

Kristin Dulcan

• : 151
« #4 : February 11, 2008, 02:48:21 PM »
Thanks for the tips.  Kristin

Misha Kovacevic

• : 141
« #5 : February 11, 2008, 08:11:26 PM »
REI on Willow & Waukegan has these as well.

Matthew Cvetas

• Administrator
  • : 2696
« #6 : February 12, 2008, 06:42:30 AM »
Two years into birding now and I haven't yet "graduated" to something else, partly due to my budget restrictions. Nevertheless, these binos perform very well and I would recommend them to anyone. In fact, I purchased them for my mother and sister, too.

My only complaint, if any, is that they are a bit sluggish when focusing in very cold weather. Is this common of all optics or just inexpensive ones?

Matthew

Nobody loves me but my mother, and she could be jivin' too.
-B.B. King

Greg Neise

• Administrator
« #7 : February 12, 2008, 12:44:47 PM »
Not quite in the $60 range, but Eagle Optics is having a blowout 50%-off-sale on Celestron Regal LX 10x42 Binocular. Click here:

[b]Hot Deals from Eagle Optics! [/b]
...and scroll down towards the bottom of the page.
« : June 10, 2010, 03:53:01 PM Greg Neise »

Matthew Cvetas

• Administrator
  • : 2696
« #8 : February 12, 2008, 06:40:06 PM »
Greg,

8x42s on sale from Astronomics via Amazon - $169. Talk about blowout.

[amazon]http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Regal-8x42-Waterproof-Binoculars/dp/B0007UQNT0[/amazon]

Have you tried these yourself?

Matthew
« : February 12, 2008, 06:48:32 PM Admin »
Nobody loves me but my mother, and she could be jivin' too.
-B.B. King

Greg Neise

• Administrator
« #9 : February 12, 2008, 06:54:06 PM »
I have not tried them in the field (I have checked them out at a store), but I have read a lot of reviews today, and at that price you would be getting an amazing deal on great glasses for any birder.

Barbara

• Fledgling
  • Fledgeling
  • : 10
« #10 : May 12, 2011, 08:27:02 AM »
Doing my homework on the site and I was intrigued by your mention of the Swift Ultralite 8 x 40 binocular. Should have realized that with a 40mm lens this bionocular would weigh over a pound (22oz). I'm mostly a backyard birder and I have some neck and shoulder problems. So weight is important to me. I currently use minis. Is there anything in the compact size that you would recommend?  I'd go in the $300 range. Thanks, Barbara
"Hope is the thing with feathers,
That perches in the soul..."
Emily Dickenson

Ron Skleney

• Global Moderator
  • : 213
« #11 : May 18, 2011, 06:25:02 AM »
Hi Barbara,
I would be careful when considering purchasing a compact binocular due to the relatively narrow field of view.  I find it difficult to get on the bird when using compacts.

I scanned a couple of sites looking for 8X32's that might fit your criteria.  Unfortunately, there aren't many in the $300 ballpark and based upon the specs, you really don't save much weight by going to a 30mm objective lens.

Have you considered trying a binocular harness? This would distribute the weight over a broader shoulder area and have no weight resting on your neck.  Does one of your birding buddies use a bino harness that you might try out?

Ron

Greg Neise

• Administrator
« #12 : June 02, 2011, 05:56:51 PM »
You should check out the Eagle Optics "Hot Deals!" page.

They currently have several good binoculars in the $300-and-under range.

Bosco001

• Fledgeling
  • : 3
« #13 : March 20, 2012, 06:14:30 PM »
I recommend Bushnell's Legend Ultra HD 10x42
Good all around bino. A bit pricey if you're on a budget.
http://www.bushnell.com/products/binoculars/legend-ultra-hd/191042/

Bosco001

• Fledgeling
  • : 3
« #14 : March 20, 2012, 06:16:54 PM »
PS Barbara you might also consider a tripod or monopod when in the backyard :)

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link