www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: Going to Starved Rock Tomorrow and Saturday  ( 3572 )

Glenn Perricone

• Falcon Wielding
  • : 239
  • #294 Mourning Warbler
Going to Starved Rock Tomorrow and Saturday
« : March 29, 2012, 08:56:48 AM »
Hey everyone! I'm going down to Starved Rock and Matheson this weekend. This will be my first time birding down there, and I was hoping you guys could give me an idea what to look for!

I've read that there are:

Migrating Ducks
Pelicans
Herons
Bitterns
Eagles
Owls
Nighthawks
Wood Peckers
Orioles
Warblers (though not this time of year)

I personally hope to see a Pileated Woodpecker... yet to see one of those! Pelicans and Bitterns would be neat to. And owls. And nighthawks. And Eagles... geesh i'm getting bird greedy ^^

Has anyone been to Starved Rock lately and seen something out of the ordinary?

"The difference between a beginning birder and an experienced one is that beginning birders have misidentified very few birds. Experienced birders have misidentified thousands."

- Pete Dunne

Greg Neise

• Administrator
  • : 4439
  • IBF Owner/Administrator
    • In Plain Sight Communication
Re: Going to Starved Rock Tomorrow and Saturday
« #1 : March 30, 2012, 10:29:05 AM »
Glenn,

Pelicans are all over the Illinois River right now, so seeing a bunch should be no problem. Migrating ducks are in short supply right now. Most have already left. Bitterns are very difficult to find anywhere, so if you happen across one, consider it your lucky day.

Eagles are easily seen on the river as well.
"Only the impossible always happens"
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Scott Brewer

• : 98
« #2 : March 30, 2012, 10:55:46 AM »
Glenn,

Since I am also considering a trip, I checked eBird recently for sightings of interest.  I also hope to see Pelicans, Pileated Woodpecker, and perhaps Tufted Titmouse.  Also warblers that may be present are Yellow-Rumped and Louisiana Waterthrush, according to reported eBird sightings.

I recommend going to eBird to look for recent checklists submitted for the area to give you a good idea.

Good luck,
Scott

Glenn Perricone

• Falcon Wielding
  • #294 Mourning Warbler
« #3 : April 02, 2012, 09:04:19 PM »
Thanks guys! I am planning another trip and am following your suggestion of looking at other birder's reports.

@ Scott: I saw the pelicans and the Titmice! unfortunately, i did not catch a glimpse of the pileated... heard them though! I did see oriole and a wood thrush! (some early arrivals). Also, I observed a barred owl between french and wildcat canyon on the south trail!!!

"The difference between a beginning birder and an experienced one is that beginning birders have misidentified very few birds. Experienced birders have misidentified thousands."

- Pete Dunne

beauschaefer

• : 497
« #4 : April 03, 2012, 11:21:45 AM »
Hi Scott,
  I was wondering how you look up checklists for a specific area? I know how to look up sightings for a SPECIES but I have not figured out how to check a location for recent checklists. If you know how to do this, I would love for you to educate me. Thanks.

Beau Schaefer

Scott Brewer

• : 98
« #5 : April 03, 2012, 06:17:01 PM »
Hi Beau,

I'm by no means an expert, but am quickly becoming a big ebird fan.  With thanks to Mr. Cvetas, this is how I do it, which is from a recent post by Matthew.  This is a great feature and is very helpful in planning trips outside your usual birding haunts.  (You can select counties instead of a hotspot, if you want to look at a wider area, or to make sure you get personal checklists that may not have been submitted to the birding hotspot.)

In the meantime, you can run a report for a specific location (state level, county level, eBird shared HotSpot location) this way.

Go to the Explore Data tab.
Click Bar Charts.
Select United States, Illinois, and HotSpots in Illinois and click Continue.
Select Nachusa Grasslands (Lee Co.) and click Continue.
You will get a bar graph for all species reported to this location at any time.
Now, click the button to change the date range or click the header of the June column.
You will get a bar graph for all species reported to this location in June.
If you click the Map button next to a species, it will bring up a map with pins on it.
Click the pin and you will see who submitted that species and the count.
Click the Checklist link to see the person's entire list.

To access the ebird topic for further info, here is the link:
http://www.ilbirds.com/index.php?topic=50308.0

Enjoy!

Scott

beauschaefer

• : 497
« #6 : April 06, 2012, 06:18:01 PM »
Excellent. Thanks, Scott.

Susan Szeszol

• The BirdGirl
  • : 434
« #7 : April 07, 2012, 11:50:07 AM »
I went to Starved Rock yesterday, Friday, April 6, 2012, and I got some great views of four Turkey Vultures, as well as 12 Pelicans. :)

Susan  8)
My brother and sister birds, you should praise your Creator and always love him: He gave you feathers for clothes, wings to fly and all other things that you need. It is God who made you noble among all creatures, making your home in thin, pure air. Without sowing or reaping, you receive Godís guidance and protection.
Saint Francis of Assisi

Glenn Perricone

• Falcon Wielding
  • #294 Mourning Warbler
« #8 : April 07, 2012, 12:13:13 PM »
I went to Starved Rock yesterday, Friday, April 6, 2012, and I got some great views of four Turkey Vultures, as well as 12 Pelicans. :)

Susan  8)

Beautiful shot of the TV! There were a bunch down there! So, how was your birding down there? Did you see, or at least hear the Balitmore Orioles?

- Pete Dunne

Susan Szeszol

• The BirdGirl
  • : 434
« #9 : April 09, 2012, 06:48:56 AM »

[/quote]
Beautiful shot of the TV! There were a bunch down there! So, how was your birding down there? Did you see, or at least hear the Balitmore Orioles?
[/quote]

Thank you, Glenn! :)
Unfortunately, I did not see or hear the Baltimore Orioles. As the morning went on, the crowds grew and grew, since so many people had off for Good Friday.

Susan 8)
My brother and sister birds, you should praise your Creator and always love him: He gave you feathers for clothes, wings to fly and all other things that you need. It is God who made you noble among all creatures, making your home in thin, pure air. Without sowing or reaping, you receive Godís guidance and protection.
Saint Francis of Assisi

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link