www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: Ruff Emiquon Fulton County 9-14-13 and  ( 6081 )

colind

• : 256
Ruff Emiquon Fulton County 9-14-13 and
« : September 14, 2013, 06:07:46 PM »
Both this morning to my state golf champion chip I stopped by Emiquon for 45-1 hour and at the north globe I had a close Ruff! You can see everything close from the highway. Ill post the pics later when I get home. When I was coming back I just saw it 30 minutes ago for a minute before a Falcon came in. Other birds seen.
Black bellied 1
Golden 8
Semi plover 12
Killdeer x
Spotted 1
Solitary 4
Greater yellowlegs 4
Lesser 65
Sanderling 2
Turnstone 1-2 surprised!l
Pecs 2-300
Least 50
Semi 75
Bairds 9
Western 1
Ruff 1
Buffy 1
Stilt 12
Long billed Dowitcher 3
Snipe 2
Wilson's 1
Rednecked 3
Common/Arcitc 1 got pics going towards Arctic but pictures sent to people.
Also seen at Thompson Lake a Juvenile Sabine's Gull was seen from the observatory.

Josh Engel

• : 426
Re: Ruff Emiquon Fulton County 9-14-13 and
« #2 : September 16, 2013, 02:27:26 PM »
Great job Colin! Clearly a juvenile Ruff. Where were all these great birds when I was down there the weekend before?

Josh

Dan Williams

• : 344
« #3 : September 16, 2013, 03:23:13 PM »
I agree with Josh-juvenile Ruff.  Juvenile Ruffs have a short bill, and, even though the tail and primary projections are distorted from the enlargement, the tertials seem to be very elongated.  If there is another photo of this bird with other sandpipers, the size comparison would add an extra element of probable support for the ID.  Excellent job, Colin!

Matt Wistrand

• : 305
  • Common Ground-Dove—IL #324
« #4 : September 16, 2013, 03:50:05 PM »
Whoa! Great find!

Adam Sell

• : 438
« #5 : September 16, 2013, 06:15:57 PM »
Congrats on the discovery, Colin!  Definitely a juvenile Ruff
Adam Sell

Nick Minor

• : 539
    • The Science of Birds
« #6 : September 16, 2013, 07:00:54 PM »
Wow!! What a find dude! Rock on Colin.
"Not till we are lost, in other words, not till we have lost the world, do we begin to find ourselves" - Henry David Thoreau

Check out my blog:
http://scienceofbirds.blogspot.com/

Keith A. McMullen

• : 854
« #7 : September 16, 2013, 09:11:02 PM »
Someone has to ask....Why is this not a PECTORAL SANDPIPER?

Colin, do you have other photos?

Did you see the bird fly?

What field marks do you believe "sell" this ID as a RUFF?

Just curious.

Keith

Sean Fitzgerald

• : 81
    • Midwest Birder blog
« #8 : September 17, 2013, 07:15:49 AM »
Great find Colin!
Fieldmarks that sell this as a juvenile Ruff include:
Clean buffy colored upper breast (that alone eliminates PESA)
Buffy coloration extending half-way down the flanks (PESA lack appreciable markings or coloration beyond the extent of the well defined streaking on their breast)
Extremely thick base to the beak (and dark all the way to the very base of the beak)
Obvious yellowish scaling throughout the upperparts

Good birding!
Sean Fitzgerald

Sam Burckhardt

• : 576
    • samburckhardt.com
« #9 : September 17, 2013, 09:13:38 AM »
I would add another field mark for juvenile Ruff: the area around the base of the bill is pale, whereas in a PESA the lores are dark. In adult Ruffs in basic plumage this area around the base of the bill becomes white, a field mark that is visible at considerable distance.

Sam

Sam Burckhardt
Chicago
Cook County

Keith A. McMullen

• : 854
« #10 : September 17, 2013, 10:30:35 AM »
Still not seeing this as a RUFF.

When I enlarge the photo as best I can, I see a few things that bother me.

1. Bird appears to have a distinct whitish supercillium (eyebrow) that RUFF does not have.

2. Bird appears to have a reddish/rufous cap, not so much like a SHARP-TAILED SANDPIPER, but in the range of a cap that PECS have and RUFFS do not.

3. Bird appears to be orangish/buffy to me, not the clean, scaled buffy like a BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER. Check out Sibley and National Geo (maybe other guides, too...don't have them at my fingertips right now) and see how a juvie RUFF looks almost identical, in plumage color, as a BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER. To me, RUFFS even have that delicate, dove-like head. This bird does not have that.

4. Concur the bill "appears" to be all-black, but is it?  Lighting in the photo is maybe not perfect and a foraging bird could have mud on the beak, thus bill color on this individual, in my opinion, doesn't cinch an ID either way.

5. Lastly, the gizz on this bird doesn't feel like a RUFF. All the RUFFS I've seen seem to have a chunkiness to them and a distinct "hunch-backed" look, especially in the feeding pose that Colin has captured. I would expect this to be evident on a RUFF.

Would love to see more photos and here from Colin with answers to my previous questions.

1. Did he see the bird fly?
2. How big did the bird compare to others around it, if any?
3. Why does he believe this is a RUFF.

As Greg said recently on the "Kittiwake" thread, I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong but I'm very surprised everyone thinks this is a slam-dunk RUFF.

Colin, don't take any of this personal. I'm glad you're finding tons of great birds and getting photos as well. Thanks for sharing. Just want you to realize, though, folks will question identifications of rarities you or I or any other birder might make and the jury may be still be out as to what that species really is.

Good experience for us all and we'll all continue to grow as birders!

Good birdings!

Keith

Josh Engel

• : 426
« #11 : September 17, 2013, 12:54:40 PM »
1. Bird appears to have a distinct whitish supercillium (eyebrow) that RUFF does not have.

2. Bird appears to have a reddish/rufous cap, not so much like a SHARP-TAILED SANDPIPER, but in the range of a cap that PECS have and RUFFS do not.

3. Bird appears to be orangish/buffy to me, not the clean, scaled buffy like a BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER. Check out Sibley and National Geo (maybe other guides, too...don't have them at my fingertips right now) and see how a juvie RUFF looks almost identical, in plumage color, as a BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER. To me, RUFFS even have that delicate, dove-like head. This bird does not have that.

4. Concur the bill "appears" to be all-black, but is it?  Lighting in the photo is maybe not perfect and a foraging bird could have mud on the beak, thus bill color on this individual, in my opinion, doesn't cinch an ID either way.

5. Lastly, the gizz on this bird doesn't feel like a RUFF. All the RUFFS I've seen seem to have a chunkiness to them and a distinct "hunch-backed" look, especially in the feeding pose that Colin has captured. I would expect this to be evident on a RUFF.

Keith

Hey Keith,

Here's my take on your points. We at least agree it's a juvenile, right?

1) Juvenile Ruffs often show a contrasting supercilium. A Google Images or Flickr search for "juvenile Ruff" reveals many such birds. For example, see http://www.pbase.com/peregrine/image/84363840 and http://bit.ly/1emxfq0

2) I think this is greatly exaggerated by photographic artifact in the image, but regardless, juvenile Ruffs can show rufous caps. For examples, see http://www.treknature.com/gallery/photo200726.htm and http://www.tsuru-bird.net/a_species/ruff/ (scroll to the bottom)

3) Again, the color is altered by the fact the the photo is digiscoped (I presume) and not perfectly sharp. That said, the color looks fine to me for a Ruff. The pattern is also spot on for Ruff. Juvenile Ruffs are variable in the extent of buff on the their underparts, but the most common pattern is buffy breast and flanks with a white belly and vent, just like this bird.

4) Agreed that photographic artifact could explain the all dark-appearance of the bill. I don't think that's the case, but it is possible. It's much harder to imagine that mud explains it, though.

5) Jizz of course is very difficult to ascertain from a single photo, but I don't see anything out of the ordinary for Ruff in the shape of this bird.

Besides this, in a photo like this of a Pec you would see a clear demarcation between the streaked breast and white belly and flanks. Not only does this bird not show the demarcation, is doesn't show any streaking across the breast.

If you have more photos, Colin, it would be great to see them, especially if you have one showing the wingtips.

Cheers,
Josh

Steve Gent

• : 610
« #12 : September 17, 2013, 02:03:13 PM »
The color tinting on the shot don't help much,  and I agree with some of the points that Keith s making.  To me ruff is a pretty chunky, yes it can look hunch-backed, and yes in basic plumage it has a white base to the bill.  Juvvie ruff are very like buffies, and can be mistaken for them, although structurally they are quite different.  I don't see this as a pec, for the reasons already stated,  I think it looks pretty good for a ruff.  Would be nice to see more shots if possible.  Still a pretty good find.

Joan Norek

• : 279
    • The Law Office of Joan I. Norek
« #13 : September 17, 2013, 03:15:26 PM »
A size comparison, if one was possible, would be immensely valuable.

Joan

Greg Neise

• Administrator
  • : 4439
  • IBF Owner/Administrator
    • In Plain Sight Communication
« #14 : September 17, 2013, 04:28:15 PM »
I look at this bird and my immediate, first reaction is: RUFF.

In every aspect, as has been mentioned above, it is fine for Ruff. The base color: rich golden-buffy is unique, and in addition to everything else mentioned, the area around the base of the bill is clean. No dark markings at all.
"Only the impossible always happens"
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link