www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: help identifying a bird  ( 4046 )

mattie

• : 26
help identifying a bird
« : July 11, 2015, 12:42:07 PM »
Hello.....so excited to find this forum.  I need some assistance in identifying a bird that I photographed at Carlyle Lake....any assistance is so appreciated...  thanks!

Fran Morel

• ILRBA TEST
  • : 1277
Re: help identifying a bird
« #1 : July 11, 2015, 03:12:28 PM »
cool...do you want us to simply tell you what it is, or walk you through it? Do you have a field guide? Have you made any guesses at all?

mattie

« #2 : July 11, 2015, 04:22:38 PM »
well...I have ruled out the grey catbird; I have been leaning towards the Warbling Vireo or the Townsend Solitaire.  I had borrowed my neighbors field guide when I started shooting birds earlier this summer; I have  a passion for catching them in flight (caught this fantastic brown thrasher earlier in the season).  but this bird I couldn't find...I have several angles of him/her but the only identifying marker was the white rim around the eye....  so....after a long winded explanation, yes, please tell me.... :)

Fran Morel

• ILRBA TEST
  • : 1277
« #3 : July 12, 2015, 04:32:50 AM »
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

mattie

« #4 : July 12, 2015, 05:38:22 AM »
thanks!  I see it now...more so in the black centered part of the tail than overall coloring; might have been the sun shadows...  the other blue gray gnatcatcher I shot was definite in identifying with tail up and really bluish-gray...  again, thanks! 

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link