www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: wild strawberry  ( 1083 )

elliot

• : 258
    • planet-e
wild strawberry
« : April 16, 2012, 03:39:18 PM »
Fragaria virginiana.  easy to just walk right by these small plants, when your attention is constantly migrating bird-wards and your binos are focused afar.  the wild/common strawberry has high ecological value as foodsource for a wide range of insects, birds and other wildlife.  although wild strawberries are small, they are also considered among the most delicious.  there are 23 species in the strawberry genus Fragaria.  the commercially grown (hybrid) strawberry, Fragaria x ananassa, is a cross of F. virginiana and F. chiloensis.  this hybrid was discovered somewhat accidentally, as the French officer Frazier made the error of bringing only female F. chiloensis plants to France.  in the absence of F. chiloensis males, F. virginiana pollen was used for fertilization, and the resulting hybrid became popular as its cultivation spread. 

back in 1542, a fair stretch before the modern varieties, Andrew Boorde wrote, "Rawe crayme undecocted, eaten with strawberys or hurtes (whortleberry, billberry, etc.) is a rural mannes banket."  (Fyrst Boke of the Introduction of Knowledge)

Rich Laramore

• County Wiki Editors
  • : 475
  • Amateur Naturalist
    • Nature Close Up- All the small things. My blog.
Re: wild strawberry
« #1 : April 16, 2012, 03:51:12 PM »
Love the history lesson Elliot. And the photo. Thanks for sharing.
I eBird, do YOU? www.ebird.org

My nature blog. www.naturecloseup.blogspot.com/

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link