www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: Some Interesting Fungus  ( 5134 )

Rich Laramore

• County Wiki Editors
  • : 475
  • Amateur Naturalist
    • Nature Close Up- All the small things. My blog.
Some Interesting Fungus
« : April 16, 2012, 04:52:39 PM »
With the wind we had this morning my birding walk turned into a look at what I can find close to the ground search. I ended up finding around 14 different species of mushrooms, but these three take the cake.

This one is called commonly known as a Jelly Ear. From what I have read it is edible and used in Asian cuisine. They say it does not really taste like anything though.

The Jelly Ear (Auricularia auricula-judae) by Laramore, on Flickr

These little neon yellow jelly buttons were in several spots.

(Dacrymyces stillatus) by Laramore, on Flickr

When I was walking I noticed this tree from far away. It looked like it was decorated for Christmas.

(Gymnosporangium juniperi-virginianae) by Laramore, on Flickr

When I got closer I saw that this is what the orange things looked like. Kind of creepy in a beautiful sort of way. Come to find out they are a type of fungal gall that targets Juniper species and only fruits when conditions are right.

(Gymnosporangium juniperi-virginianae) by Laramore, on Flickr

I found a site kind of like eBird but for mushrooms, and I am starting to list the different mushrooms I find. It can be found here for anyone that is interested. http://mushroomobserver.org/

I eBird, do YOU? www.ebird.org

My nature blog. www.naturecloseup.blogspot.com/

Marion Miller

• : 688
Re: Some Interesting Fungus
« #1 : April 16, 2012, 07:57:47 PM »
Hi Rich,

ahhh......thanks for sharing.  Now I can honestly say, I have found something I hate more then snakes...........Fungus!  ;)

Marion
"Our lives are enriched not only by the birds we see, but also by the journey we take to see them." ~ Team TLC

Mark Swanson

• Official Gadfly
  • : 584
    • Swanson Media Photography: Nature & Wildlife Photography
« #2 : April 16, 2012, 08:53:04 PM »
Now I can honestly say, I have found something I hate more then snakes...........Fungus!

Then you must be really fond of the fascinating group of creatures called slime molds. Once classified as fungi, slime molds now are considered part of the kingdom Protista, specifically comprising the group Amoebozoa. Like some of their "animal-like" protist relatives, slime molds are capable of movement. In fact, according to slime mold expert John Tyler Bonner, slime molds "have various behaviours that are equal to those of animals who possess muscles and nerves with ganglia -- that is, simple brains."

Pictured below is the intelligent slime mold Physarum polycephalum in its plasmodium phase, during which it moves by a process called "streaming." P. polycephalum "has been shown to exhibit intelligent characteristics similar to those seen in single-celled creatures and eusocial insects," including the ability to solve mazes.

Source: Wikipedia articles "Slime mold" and "Physarum polycephalum"
« : April 16, 2012, 09:59:49 PM Mark Swanson »
Mark Swanson

My nature photos:
Birds | Butterflies & Skippers | Damselflies | Dragonflies | Spiders & Kin | more...

My nature videos:
Nature Videos by Swanson Media (YouTube)

Mark Swanson

• Official Gadfly
« #3 : April 16, 2012, 10:06:32 PM »
Sorry about that, Rich. I warned Physarum polycephalum not to hijack your thread, but you know how those P. polycephalum are. You just can't let them near a computer.
Mark Swanson

My nature photos:
Birds | Butterflies & Skippers | Damselflies | Dragonflies | Spiders & Kin | more...

My nature videos:

Rich Laramore

• County Wiki Editors
  • Amateur Naturalist
« #4 : April 17, 2012, 05:20:18 AM »
No need to appologize Mark. I did not know slime molds were that complex of creatures.

Marion Miller

« #5 : April 17, 2012, 06:05:45 AM »
Thanks Mark, I don't think I'll ever eat Tapioca Pudding again....looks too much like Slime Mold!  Honestly, that is very interesting information.  Amazing creations are part of this earth!

Marion
"Our lives are enriched not only by the birds we see, but also by the journey we take to see them." ~ Team TLC

Mark Swanson

• Official Gadfly
« #6 : April 17, 2012, 08:24:40 AM »
Thanks Mark, I don't think I'll ever eat Tapioca Pudding again....looks too much like Slime Mold!  Honestly, that is very interesting information.  Amazing creations are part of this earth!

Are you sure the "Tapioca Pudding" you've been eating isn't slime mold? The Tapioca Slime Mold (Brefeldia maxima) is common in Europe and North America.  ;)

Funny you should use the word "creation" given that John Tyler Bonner (the slime mold expert) was involved with one of the earliest efforts (in 1966) to express scientific support for evolution.  According to Arizona State University, "the establishment and growth of developmental-evolutionary biology owes a great debt to the work of Bonner’s studies." (Source: Wikipedia article on "John Tyler Bonner".)
« : April 17, 2012, 08:42:11 AM Mark Swanson »
Mark Swanson

My nature photos:

My nature videos:

Marion Miller

« #7 : April 17, 2012, 02:52:36 PM »
We all can make a "mistake."   ;)

Marion

Mark Swanson

• Official Gadfly
« #8 : April 17, 2012, 05:24:05 PM »
Ha! Yes, and I can get a wee bit too serious sometimes.

Here's some comic relief.
Mark Swanson

My nature photos:

My nature videos:

Marion Miller

« #9 : April 17, 2012, 07:37:05 PM »
Hi Mark,

The Blob,  one my favorite "corny" movies to watch.
I had never noticed your gallery link before.  WOW, you have excellent photos!

Marion

Mark Swanson

• Official Gadfly
« #10 : April 17, 2012, 08:06:36 PM »
Thanks, Marion. I do what I can.

I thought The Blob was scary/corny as a kid. Great fun. But I was more surprised by the P. polycephalum plasmodium that appeared under my window, seemingly out of nowhere, having scaled the sill in a matter of hours. Truth is stranger than fiction.
Mark Swanson

My nature photos:

My nature videos:

Marion Miller

« #11 : April 17, 2012, 08:15:29 PM »
Oh no, I forsee "slime mold" nightmares tonight!

Marion

RLShonkwiler

• : 854
« #12 : April 18, 2012, 08:25:15 AM »
Fungi are cool!  I think some are quite beautiful.  I wish I had a little more time to learn to identify them and learn about their natural history.  The Great Smokey Mountains is a great place for a wide variety; wish I could get back there soon.

Randy

Rich Laramore

• County Wiki Editors
  • Amateur Naturalist
« #13 : April 18, 2012, 08:49:56 AM »
Randy-  Some species are really tough to identify, it can take going so far as looking at spores under a microscope to be sure. If you post a picture on the Mushroom Observer website I linked to in my opening post they will identify it for you, or at least as best as can be from pictures. Some of the top Mycologists in the country are members there.

RLShonkwiler

• : 854
« #14 : April 18, 2012, 01:32:34 PM »
Thanks Rich!  Right now I'm sans camera, except my old Canon AE1 Program.  I took a few crappy photos of fungi with it in GSMNP in the nineties.  I have a funny story, too.  I was taking photos of mushrooms and wild flowers in the park near Gatlinburg.  I was along the road and a pick-up truck with a family stopped to talk to me.  The man in the truck asked if I'd seen "that bear."  I hadn't seen any bears and thought he was just messing with me.  I walked back to my car, opened the door and put my camera and tripod in.  I was about to get in and a small bear walked past just a few inches from my front bumper!  I sat down quick and shut the door; he paid no attention to me and just walked on by!

Randy

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link