www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: our fungal roots  ( 1160 )

elliot

• : 258
    • planet-e
our fungal roots
« : April 23, 2012, 05:35:56 AM »
came across these audio clips from presentations by Paul Stamets in 2007, thought i would post the link here as i found them fascinatingly informative.  five 15 min clips but worth the sit-through.  don't think i'll ever look at mushrooms the same way again.  he mentions biological racism, and i hadn't really examined my own biases.  very big picture.  also reminded me that sometimes, it takes a hippie. 

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2012/04/earth-day-mycelium-running.html

elliot

• : 258
    • planet-e
Re: our fungal roots
« #1 : May 10, 2012, 06:17:38 PM »
well, don't know if anyone liked those talks, but i just got the book, Mycelium Running (checked it out of the public library actually) and while i've only gotten a short way into it, wow is this book opening my eyes and mind.  now i KNOW i'll never look at any mushroom the same way ever again, even now that i've read that only about 10% of fungi produce mushrooms, and only about 10% of those have been identified. 

i feel compelled to say:  this is an important, eloquent book, and i believe represents a lifetime statement by the author.  if you are into gardening, or have any involvement in any landscape restoration, you may want a copy of this book more than just having digested it.  and speaking of digestion, there is some highly valuable dietary information in there if you care about your dietary health, or cook for others.  or if you are addict-fascinated by or just simply curious about everything that lives on this planet, you may find this book the most page-turning non-fiction bio-themed book you've ever read.  one reviewer comments, "Should be mandatory reading for government policy makers."  only two chapters in, and i wholly agree, except that if some swath of the general population doesn't also grasp the material, the policy makers will remain ... as they are.   :-X

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link