www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: Lincoln Park Zoo  ( 2719 )

nerksa_nayr52

• : 16
Lincoln Park Zoo
« : October 03, 2008, 01:25:22 PM »
Hello,
  I'm going to be in Chicago over the weekend and am planning on heading to Lincoln Park Zoo on Sunday. Just curious if anyone has any suggestions on where to go in the zoo to photograph the waterfowl and what species they have on exhibit? Thanks for any help.

Ryan

nerksa_nayr52

Re: Lincoln Park Zoo
« #1 : October 03, 2008, 01:44:49 PM »
Also curious if any of the waterfowl have their full plumage yet? Thanks.

Greg Neise

• Administrator
  • : 4439
  • IBF Owner/Administrator
    • In Plain Sight Communication
« #2 : October 03, 2008, 01:55:54 PM »
Well, the waterfowl are all in the Waterfowl Lagoon/Swan Pond...at least for the moment. The whole pond system (including South Pond) is due to be drained and deepened later this month, and the birds are all going to be in alternative habitats.

The hooded mergansers and Baikal teal are looking pretty good right now...the ruddy ducks look kinda ratty.
"Only the impossible always happens"
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

nerksa_nayr52

« #3 : October 06, 2008, 12:21:33 PM »
Thanks Greg,
   The ducks were as you described and were in good plumage. I had problems getting any great shots because I couldn't get at as low of an angle as I would have preferred but it was still a good time. I never did see the drake baikal teal, just his female. Any idea where he would have been? I did get to see the cooper's hawk make a dive at the ducks on the swan pond and he then came and landed over by me while I was on the bridge. I wish I could have gotten closer to the red-breasted geese as well. Thanks for the help. The info on the ponds is good to know. Guess I won't be stopping by if I'm in town again any time soon.

nerksa_nayr52

« #4 : October 06, 2008, 12:22:06 PM »
And one of the bufflehead.

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link