www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: Dale Birkenholz  ( 3944 )

frakerpovc

• Matt Fraker
  • : 1320
Dale Birkenholz
« : December 26, 2015, 09:32:48 PM »
From a very early age I wanted to be Dale Birkenholz when I grew up.

I started watching birds sometime back when I was three to four years old. My parents embraced this weirdness; but it was a highly regarded Illinois State University Biology professor that over decades of my life mentored me in all elements of nature. As a child I watched him know and share everything he knew about birds. As a younger adult I would venture into the field with him, and at the time I was fit as hell and yet still unable to keep up with this freak of nature.

During the years of my life where I was a bit lost to say the least, together we wondered the timber that ultimately would become the Fraker Farm and I learned all of my trees and plants from him (although my pop had taught me my native wildflowers).

Birkenholz was Illinois' own personal Gandalf. He was ageless; timeless; and knew absolutely everything there was to know about everything. But for Dale knowing it was not enough. For Dale, sharing his vast amount of knowledge (which could truly never be shared in its entirety as it would short circuit any normal person's brain) was his greatest joy and his greatest gift and almost certainly his greatest talent. With a twinkled smile worthy of St. Nick, a soft voice always full of passionate but gentle inflection, body language mannerisms that were completely mesmerizing as he spoke -- in all of my life I have never met anyone like this, and I can guarantee that every else who knew him felt the same way.

Of all that I learned from Dale -- and if I have anything to offer or teach the birding community or the world of nature, Dale was either responsible for it or touched upon it -- his greatest gift was teaching me (and others) how to be fluent in the language of Nature. A person can step outside and be thinking only that he or she has 15 minutes to get to work. Or a person can step outside, immediately and automatically recognize 10 different bird sounds, tell by the air what the weather will be like that day, and offhandedly and automatically note which plants are blooming, or what butterflies are flitting about the car that person is about to step into. And all of that makes the "I have 15 minutes to get to work" part the least important thing about stepping outside.

Dale passed away peacefully today at 5:30PM with his long time best friend Rhea Edge holding his hand. The picture I have here was just taken on December 19th, and in his typical super-human way, neither his body in that picture nor is upbeat mind that shared memories with me showed any sign of the illness that riddled his body.

As a child, you know that you are supposed to bury your parents some day, and I have already buried one. Mentors teach and then they go, as my veterinary mentor Don Wainscott did. But a world without Birkenholz...that's something that I've tried hard to fathom and have failed. I know how many of us will never stop hearing the timbre, passion, and inflections in Dale's voice.

Happy travels, Dale. We all know that if we really need to see you we will always be able to seek you out in the swirling savanna waters of Mother Mackinaw.

It's sort of funny to me -- I'm 48 years old, and I still want to be Dale Birkenholz when I grow up...
"Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment"
Pliny the Elder

Benjamin Murphy

• : 830
    • murphbirder
Re: Dale Birkenholz
« #1 : December 26, 2015, 11:14:35 PM »
Thanks, Matt! Great tribute!  He was one of the kindest men I have ever known.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nancy tikalsky

• nancy tikalsky
  • : 50
    • Chicago Ornithological Society
« #2 : December 27, 2015, 05:50:10 AM »
A great loss indeed!  I had the privilege to know his gentle and generous nature in the field just once that expanded my knowledge of Illinois plants and respect for what central Illinois offers us in the natural world (ie-- it is no longer just corn n soy to me).  It is a better place for people thanks to people like Dale and you, Matt.  Peace, n.
nancy tikalsky

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance."

-- George Bernard Shaw,
 Irish playwright and essayist

David B. Johnson

• David B Johnson
  • : 72
  • Always Birding!
« #3 : December 27, 2015, 05:44:53 PM »
Thanks Matt!  A fine tribute to a truly wonderful man.

I know he was Dr. Scott Hickman's birding mentor. 
I had the privilege to met him upon my son's arrival at ISU when I first met him in Ewing Park.  This was on one of my many spring visits to see my son; while birding there we crossed paths and sat on a park bench together sharing our warbler observations.  I remember a Magnolia Warbler overhead as we talked and we both marveled at it's wonderful beauty.
Later. one winter, Dale gave me a Christmas Bird Count area to do in Bloomington/Normal and he gave me such wonderful instructions on where to go and how to bird my area.
 I am forever grateful to have known this most gracious and great man of the natural world.
David B Johnson

magicbrd

• Fledgeling
  • : 1
« #4 : December 29, 2015, 02:51:36 PM »
So very sorry to hear this news.

Benjamin Murphy

• : 830
    • murphbirder
« #5 : December 30, 2015, 02:59:44 PM »
I wrote this about Dale on my birding blog in 2011 after going birding with Dale in Arizona. At this time, I had not known Dale long, but the longer I knew him the more it became apparent that all that I said here was true.

"Before I left for Arizona, I emailed Dale Birkenholz, who stays in Green Valley, Arizona during the winters and asked if he would be willing to take me birding while I was there. Dale, who taught Biology at Illinois State University, is highly regarded by everyone that I have spoken with about him, and I believe there are many reasons for this of which I will name a few. First, he knows his stuff. He is an exceptional birder and naturalist in general. Second, he is an excellent teacher and seems to delight in passing his knowledge on to others. Third, he is one of the kindest men I have ever met. Although Dale and I had only met and spoken on a few occasions prior to my trip to Arizona, Dale seemed eager to help me see as many new birds as possible while I was there. Not only did he drive me around for two days without accepting any money for gas. He brought me lunch both days packed by his sweet sister Marjorie."

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link