www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: Chicago Area Waterfowl  ( 3729 )

nerksa_nayr52

• : 16
Chicago Area Waterfowl
« : September 04, 2008, 12:56:05 PM »
Hello,
    My main birding interests revolve around photography, primarily waterfowl. I live over in Iowa and am hoping to make some future trips to chicago to photograph some ducks and geese. My primary interests are geese with neck collars and species of duck other than mallards that hang around were they can be found relatively easily. I was just wondering if any one could offer any information on could places to head to either find collars or various species of ducks. However, I am also interested in any spots to photograph ducks and geese (flight is always good) as well as some of the less common shorebirds during migration. Thank you in advance.

Ryan

Greg Neise

• Administrator
  • : 4439
  • IBF Owner/Administrator
    • In Plain Sight Communication
Re: Chicago Area Waterfowl
« #1 : September 04, 2008, 01:07:32 PM »
Hi Ryan,

one of the overlooked places (compared to say, Horicon) are the Chicago harbors, particularly Montrose in the winter, when the lake is iced up. Look back through the field reports from last winter posted by Steve Spitzer to get an idea of what's out there. There is usually a trio of harlequin ducks that hangs close by North Ave. hook pier from Nov. - Jan.:

* there's only one harli in this shot...
"Only the impossible always happens"
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

nerksa_nayr52

• : 16
Re: Chicago Area Waterfowl
« #2 : September 04, 2008, 07:36:28 PM »
Thank you much Greg. That is an awesome shot. One of the birds on my quest list I am still looking to photograph. Thanks for the advice.

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link