www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: Waukegan CBC - Des Plaines River, Ind. Grove etc.  ( 1516 )

Nick Minor

• : 539
    • The Science of Birds
Waukegan CBC - Des Plaines River, Ind. Grove etc.
« : January 01, 2012, 03:36:49 PM »
Happy New Year!

Joel Greenberg, Patrick Palmer and I started out the year with a full day of birding - sunrise to sunset. We started out and spent about 4 hours moving along the Des Plaines River, with some of the highlights being Brown Creepers, numerous woodpeckers, and two groups of Yellow-rumped Warblers. Independence Grove was quite productive today, with many of the same birds I reported yesterday, such as Redhead, Ring-necked Duck, Common Goldeneye, and Lesser Scaup (which we saw later around sunset) in addition to Cackling Geese, a subadult Bald Eagle, and what we thought may have been a leucistic Mallard (also seen around sunset). We spent much of the rest of the day moving from place to place in our circle until we returned to Independence Grove. We saw 4 flyover Sandhill Cranes and a large group of Cedar Waxwings at the Lake County Sanitary District. Another productive place as far as waterfowl go was a small lake called Liberty Lake (North of 176 near Culver's), where we had Northern Shovelers, Common, Red-breasted and Hooded Mergansers, and Common Goldeneye.

Great way to start out the new year!
"Not till we are lost, in other words, not till we have lost the world, do we begin to find ourselves" - Henry David Thoreau

Check out my blog:
http://scienceofbirds.blogspot.com/

Susan Szeszol

• The BirdGirl
  • : 434
Re: Waukegan CBC - Des Plaines River, Ind. Grove etc.
« #1 : January 01, 2012, 03:42:07 PM »
Great start to your new year, Nick! Happy New Year!

Susan  8)
My brother and sister birds, you should praise your Creator and always love him: He gave you feathers for clothes, wings to fly and all other things that you need. It is God who made you noble among all creatures, making your home in thin, pure air. Without sowing or reaping, you receive Godís guidance and protection.
Saint Francis of Assisi

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link