www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: Owl Watching locales?  ( 1291 )

mattie

• : 26
Owl Watching locales?
« : August 25, 2015, 11:37:31 AM »
fellow birders....  can anyone provide guidance on great Owl watching locales...?  thanks!!!!!

Matthew Cvetas

• Administrator
  • : 2696
Re: Owl Watching locales?
« #1 : August 25, 2015, 01:01:20 PM »
Great Horned Owls and Eastern Screech-owls live in the woods around you. It's just a matter of finding them.
Short-eared Owls are the easiest to see during winter days - at dusk or early morning - in open grasslands.
Where do you live?
Nobody loves me but my mother, and she could be jivin' too.
-B.B. King

mattie

• : 26
« #2 : August 25, 2015, 06:11:24 PM »
Hi Matthew....we live in Carlyle and have been hearing, what I believe, are the Horned Owls in town and around Hazlet area....and yep, finding those wee buggers are the problem.  I just didn't know if there were any tricks to the trade, so to speak, in looking for them.  thanks!

Matthew Cvetas

• Administrator
  • : 2696
« #4 : August 26, 2015, 11:24:12 AM »
You can add Barred Owl to the list of year round resident owls in your area.

Some general tips:

• Find habitat suitable for owls. Suitable habitat differs by species. Check http://www.allaboutbirds.org/ for species accounts. Check the Life History tab for habitat clues and read the Find This Bird section.
  • Go out into suitable habitat at night and listen/watch. Owls are typically most vocal during mating season. Many birders will play recordings in an attempt to elicit feedback or draw an owl closer.
Nobody loves me but my mother, and she could be jivin' too.
-B.B. King

brewbird1

« #5 : August 31, 2015, 10:19:41 AM »
To add to what Matt said, breeding season for our resident owls is December through April/May.  Pairbonding, when they are most vocal, is late fall through early winter.

Eric Lundquist

Falconstare

• Fledgeling
  • : 12
    • www.falconstare.com
« #6 : October 08, 2015, 01:42:35 AM »
You can add Barred Owl to the list of year round resident owls in your area.

Some general tips:

• Find habitat suitable for owls. Suitable habitat differs by species. Check http://www.allaboutbirds.org/ for species accounts. Check the Life History tab for habitat clues and read the Find This Bird section.
  • Go out into suitable habitat at night and listen/watch. Owls are typically most vocal during mating season. Many birders will play recordings in an attempt to elicit feedback or draw an owl closer.

General info. Good book if you can get a copy:

"How to Spot an Owl"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1881527360/ref=x_gr_w_glide_sout_t2_test_bb?ie=UTF8&tag=x_gr_w_glide_sout_t2_test_bb-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1881527360&SubscriptionId=1MGPYB6YW3HWK55XCGG

Charlene Malone
St. Louis co., MO

Thanks for help!
Find bird watching binoculars, best compact spotting scope that let you get closer to nature. Welcome to www.falconstare.com.

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link