items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: Nebraska in March ?  ( 657 )

steve fluett

• : 29
Nebraska in March ?
« : October 27, 2015, 11:22:46 AM »
I plan to go see the 100000 or so "islands" of Sandhill Cranes on the Platte river,  the Prairie chickens and Greater Sage Grouse from old yellow school bus blinds, i guess. Most of this, i think is early morning and probably dim light. I I am wondering if anyone is familiar with where I will be and if my Cannon Power shot sx 50 camera will be worth taking along, or just a point & clluck. Victor Emanuel is the tour. I expect the Cranes will be at great distance and their calling sound will be great; the Grouse may be closer, but quiet and no flash will be a certainty so as not to disturb them at their courtship time. If I had a recorder, the sounds the birds make may be nice to capture ?

Scott G.

• Fledgeling
  • : 5
Re: Nebraska in March ?
« #1 : December 05, 2015, 03:40:58 PM »
There will be no problem finding cranes if you are there at the right time.  They are literally everywhere you look, and at all times of day, which makes for plenty of opportunities to get pictures with any size camera.

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link