www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: Swan Help  ( 7128 )

Evan Carlson

• : 249
    • 2015 Peoria Big Year
Swan Help
« : January 23, 2016, 04:20:27 PM »
The other day I saw 12 swans out on the ice on Peoria Lake and called them Trumpeter Swans because I thought the immature birds were darker than what I thought an immature Tundra would be in mid-January. But I guess I got that field mark backwards? An immature swan with a lot of white rules out a Trumpeter, but an immature swan with little or no white does not rule out a Tundra?

Anyway, today there were three swans remaining, and they swam up close and let me get a look at what I think are Tundra Swans. I want to post some pictures here and make sure I'm doing swans right before I spend the rest of my life misidentifying them.

20160123_162806 by Evan Carlson, on Flickr

20160123_162923 by Evan Carlson, on Flickr

20160123_162927 by Evan Carlson, on Flickr

Bstehl

• Fledgeling
  • : 6
Swan Help
« #1 : January 23, 2016, 04:46:26 PM »
I am no expert on swans, but judging by the "U" shape at base of bill and the ability to distinguish the eyes from the black of the bill....i would say Tundra.
Birders are just unpaid conservationist.

Walter Marcisz

• : 109
Swan Help
« #2 : January 26, 2016, 08:09:19 AM »
Evan,

I have already discussed this with you previously, but for the record the three birds in your photo are clearly Tundra Swans, based on head shape, bill size/shape/ and pinched lores/separated eye. I have been looking at Trumpeter Swans all winter - the birds in your photo do not look like Trumpeter Swans at all.

Walter Marcisz
Chicago, Cook Co.

Fran Morel

• ILRBA TEST
  • : 1277
Swan Help
« #3 : January 26, 2016, 01:45:30 PM »
Evan,

I have already discussed this with you previously, but for the record the three birds in your photo are clearly Tundra Swans, based on head shape, bill size/shape/ and pinched lores/separated eye. I have been looking at Trumpeter Swans all winter - the birds in your photo do not look like Trumpeter Swans at all.

Walter Marcisz
Chicago, Cook Co.

I agree

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link