www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: ANNOUNCING: a new resource for Illinois birders...  ( 14427 )

Greg Neise

• Administrator
  • : 4439
  • IBF Owner/Administrator
    • In Plain Sight Communication
Re: ANNOUNCING: a new resource for Illinois birders...
« #15 : March 10, 2013, 11:47:20 AM »
So we can comment under locations, but we can't add new locations? Certain 'editors' are only allowed that right? (If so, how does one become an editor?)

That's correct. The public at-large can add comments, but only the editors can add new locations. Would you like to be an editor?
"Only the impossible always happens"
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Glenn Perricone

• Falcon Wielding
  • : 239
  • #294 Mourning Warbler
« #16 : March 12, 2013, 08:41:41 PM »
If you have an opening, I would be honored to be an editor! I love nothing more than the opportunity to give back to the birding community, that has given so much to me! Well... that and Cormorants!

How do I obtain the position?

"The difference between a beginning birder and an experienced one is that beginning birders have misidentified very few birds. Experienced birders have misidentified thousands."

- Pete Dunne

dTackett

• : 223
    • Fishead Tackle
« #17 : March 17, 2013, 08:34:32 AM »
You should add whiteside county since that covers L&D 13 area. I may be able contribute comments.
Dave Tackett
Sterling IL
http://www.fisheadtackle.com

andimal23

• Beek Geek, Bird Nerd, Eagleholic
  • Fledgeling
  • : 2
    • Illini Eagleholics
« #18 : March 29, 2013, 08:44:23 PM »
Hello, is there a place for us to request a location to be added to the IL Birding Map and the County resource?  I live in Kendall County which is home to Silver Springs State Park, as well as some amazing eagle watching spots this past winter (Yorkville, Oswego, Montgomery).  I work in LaSalle County and we're missing out on the #1 state park in 2012 - Starved Rock!  I would like to request that all three state parks - Starved Rock, Buffalo Rock and Matthiesen State Parks be added to the Birding Map if possible.  We have 6 active bald eagle nests in this area and there is a small group of us who view these areas daily. 

So, is it possible to add Kendall County and LaSalle Counties, and the state parks listed above?  Thank you, good birding!
Andie "Accipitridae" Groff
Yorkville, IL
"Give without remembering and take without forgetting."

Founder, Illini Eagleholics - http://www.facebook.com/groups/chicagoeagleholics

Benjamin Guo

• : 547
  • IL #252 Snow Bunting
« #19 : March 30, 2013, 07:21:48 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Andimal23!  :)

Ben

birdsong61

• : 45
« #20 : April 02, 2013, 09:35:42 AM »
This is going to be very helpful!!!!!  I often bird watch in DuPage County and would mention that the Morton Arboretum is a great spot, Elens' Hill, Blackwell Forest Preserve- numerous birds in the shrubs that line the walk up to Mt Hoyt and around the North Shelter, St James Farm (opens in the end of May) they have been doing some construction there of a new parking lot but there are many hawks, waterfowl, turtles, frogs and a great spot for dragonflies , DuPage Forest Preserve on Naperville Rd has the wonderful Heron Rookery ( becoming more active now) and areas near the marsh have a lot of activity and the DuPage Equestrian Center has a lot to offer especially around the horse barns and gardens or the Arrowhead lake area. Lincoln Marsh is great for dragonflies and waterfowl, turtles too.  Herrick Lake has good trails and waterfowl.

During the spring and summer I am out every day visiting my faves and doing Nature photography.  I do not post very often on IBF as I am usually processing my photos and uploading to my website where I sell my prints.  I will try to update more on the Dupage county link so as to help other birders with info.

Rosanne Jordan

SteveJnerChicago

• BirdsAmazeMe
  • : 160
    • Steves Flicker Photos
« #21 : April 07, 2013, 05:40:17 AM »
Fantastic! Just read your info/intro to Lincoln Park Zoo Area. Very informative. I have only been doing this since last June when I first realized what a gem North Pond is. I remember Googling "Birding spots in Chicago" which resulted in Montrose and Bill Jarvis Bird Sanctuary. So this will be of great help to both new and long time birders. I spent most of my time last summer between Jarvis and Montrose. One question I have is where is an appropriate location for Jarvis?

I Never knew there was so much to see at South Pond, other than the BcNH's,and the zoo. I will have to follow your guide. Thanks for this and I hope to be able to contribute. One caveat though...As i am still so new to this hobby I am expecting to be thouroughly confused during my first spring migration. So please forgive me in advance if some of my info does not pan out.

Greg Neise

• Administrator
  • : 4439
  • IBF Owner/Administrator
    • In Plain Sight Communication
« #22 : April 11, 2013, 07:09:34 AM »
A sort of blanket response to the posts above...

...we are adding new locations (and editors) slowly but surely. For example, Walter Marcisz has added some Calumet-area locations, with crucial details as to how to bird these spots. (Do you know that you are supposed to call MWRD before birding from the SEPA overlook at the Bend of the Calumet River? You do now ... and you know the phone number. How about the restrictions birders need to be aware of if they wish to bird at Harborside Golf Course?)

Please continue to offer suggestions here, they are much appreciated.
"Only the impossible always happens"
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Brendon Lake

• : 652
  • #368 - Franklin's Gull
    • Brendon Lake Photography
« #23 : April 11, 2013, 11:36:08 AM »
I am sure somebody will do something for the Morton Arboretum, Fermilab, and even Pratt's Wayne Woods in DuPage County, as they are some of the best spots for that county and for northern Illinois. As for Kane County, I recommend the Carpenter Dam for warblers and waterfowl, The South Elgin Dam for waterfowl, Jon Duerr for songbirds, Fabyan Forest Preserve for songbirds, and Nelson Lake for waterfowl and a wide variety of other things (including the best spot in Kane County for American White Pelican). Another spot to recommend might be Bliss Woods, as it is the most dependable spot in Kane County for Red-Headed Woodpecker.

Brendon Lake
Brendon Lake
Wildlife Photographer Hopeful
http://brendonlake.zenfolio.com/

evanglynn

• : 116
« #24 : April 11, 2013, 12:06:16 PM »
I'll see what I can do for Champaign County.
I could also probably help contribute for Coles as well.

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link