www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: visit a woodpecker nest?  ( 1705 )

jpollock

• : 74
visit a woodpecker nest?
« : June 25, 2013, 02:06:45 PM »
I'm sending this along for Elsa Anderson, who has developed this program as a complement to the BCN Red-headed Woodpecker Blitz.  She's studying  competition associated with second nestings of RHWOs.

Volunteer Cavity Nest Monitors Needed!!

My name is Elsa Anderson and I am currently working on my Master’s degree in biology at DePaul University in Chicago.  My project evaluates Red-headed Woodpecker nest-site selection and success, as populations of Red-headed Woodpeckers have been decreasing steeply for the past 40 years.  Part of this study involves conducting cavity watches at known nest trees to see if Red-headed Woodpeckers are competing with other species for use of their nesting sites.  I am looking for volunteers to visit known cavities for 30 minutes once per week, complete a datasheet on the visit, and return the data sheet to me.

I will be holding two identical training sessions at 6:30 pm on June 27, 2013 and July 3, 2013 at Jackson Park in Chicago.  Jackson Park is just south of the Museum of Science and Industry, and is easily accessed from Lakeshore Drive. We will be meeting near the south entrance to the Wooded Island, off Hayes Drive. There is parking available here.  Training sessions will take less than an hour and will be used to introduce monitors to the project and practice completing the datasheets.

For more information, please visit https://sites.google.com/site/chicagorhwo/

(transmitted by Judy Pollock)

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link