www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD in Sterling (Whiteside Co)  ( 7315 )

Bob & Andrea

• : 23
Re: RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD in Sterling (Whiteside Co)
« #30 : January 03, 2012, 01:49:24 PM »
I wasnít sure if I would see the Rufous Hummingbird after the pretty cold night last night.  When I got home I didnít have to wait long before I seen her at the feeder.  I hope the weather stays mild.

Craig Thayer

• : 299
« #31 : January 03, 2012, 02:15:58 PM »
New forecast from NWS is for high temperatures in mid 40s from Thursday thru Tuesday which should help with survival of our "celebrity" birds (Rufous Hummers, BT Blue Warbler etc)

Craig Thayer

• : 299
« #32 : January 03, 2012, 06:29:21 PM »
Apparently the NWS forecast has again been revised to indicate high temps in 30s over the upcoming weekend before returning to 40s but there is no arctic outbreak predicted. Since the hummers and the BT Blue survived the last couple of days hopefully they will continue to defy the odds !!

Bob & Andrea

« #33 : January 03, 2012, 07:00:50 PM »
I've been surprised so far.  It would be nice if they can survive the whole winter

Bob & Andrea

« #34 : January 06, 2012, 03:38:02 PM »
Just like the Gyllenhaal hummingbird mine was around for its morning feedings because the nectar level was down a little bit.  I thought with the warm weather also that she might be out hunting bugs.  I was watching my feeder from 3:15 p.m. till 5:00 p.m. and didnít see her for her last feedings for the night.  I will continue to keep my feeder out for the weekend, if I donít see her over the weekend I will assume she is continuing on with her migration and the best of luck to her and the Gyllenhaal hummingbird.  I hope someone will be recapture her at the end of her migration that way I know she made it ok I know I'm asking for alot.  This was a great experience for my family and I.

Eric Gyllenhaal

• : 93
« #35 : January 06, 2012, 03:59:15 PM »
That would be really amazing if they both left on the same day! You would have to wonder what environmental or internal cues told them it was time to leave.

We will probably leave at least one nectar feeder up until the heat lamp can no longer keep it liquid. Who knows what could be headed south from Wisconsin or Minnesota?

Eric Gyllenhaal
Oak Park, Illinois

Bob & Andrea

« #36 : January 06, 2012, 04:33:31 PM »
I think I'll do the same then.  I'm new to all of this.  I got to meet alot of nice people out of this experiance.

Bob Zinanni

Susan Szeszol

• The BirdGirl
  • : 434
« #37 : January 06, 2012, 04:43:24 PM »
A big THANK YOU to Bob and Andrea and to the Gyllenhaal Family for all that you have done for Illinois' two Rufous Girls! Great job!

I really hope and pray that they both make it!

The hardest part is the not-knowing. Maybe someday we will hear some good news, and we'll know that they are both ok!

Susan  8)
My brother and sister birds, you should praise your Creator and always love him: He gave you feathers for clothes, wings to fly and all other things that you need. It is God who made you noble among all creatures, making your home in thin, pure air. Without sowing or reaping, you receive Godís guidance and protection.
Saint Francis of Assisi

Mike Baum

• : 245
« #38 : January 07, 2012, 05:44:58 AM »
Hey, Bob and Andrea, I also came over from Galesburg a couple weeks ago and saw your tiny guest.  I looked from my truck to see if there was a guest book on the porch but didn't see one.  I just wanted to add my thanks for your hosting this bird, sharing it with us, and joining the geek forum.
Mike Baum
Dahinda, IL

Bob & Andrea

« #39 : January 07, 2012, 11:32:33 AM »
I was watching my feeder from 6:45 a.m. till 8:00 a.m. I didn't see the Rufous.  I am almost postive that she has moved on.  I hope everything works out for her and it would be nice if she makes a visit next fall/winter

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link