www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: Prairie Falcon reported in Champaign Co.  ( 4908 )

evanglynn

• : 116
Re: Prairie Falcon reported in Champaign Co.
« #15 : February 11, 2012, 12:04:27 PM »
The prairie falcon seems to be covering a decent amount of ground between the hay bale field and different power lines. Greg Lambeth and I drove nearly every country road in the area multiple times this morning until we finally saw it flying over us in between 500 and 600N on 2300E. It then landed briefly in a field for a few decent looks, then continued flying. It was really windy this morning which I'm sure kept many birds down and away. We didn't see any other raptors in the area (we were also looking for the Sidney snowy owl). We just happened to be in the right place at the right time. This was my second time looking for the bird, and Greg's 6th. I'm glad we got lucky this morning. A life bird for me!

Evan Glynn
Charleston, IL

Aaron Gyllenhaal

• : 302
  • #359- Pomarine Jaeger
« #16 : February 12, 2012, 06:21:59 AM »
Just had the Prairie Falcon south of 900 between 2400 and 2500 flying east

Steve Gent

• : 610
« #17 : February 13, 2012, 05:53:02 AM »
Yep just the way I saw it yesterday afternoon, high up on a cross of a power line.  Not the greatest view I have ever had of a bird but it can be seen well enough with a scope.  It seems to chose to stay in the middle of the field  and so pretty far off from the road. 

Steve Gent
Winnebago Co

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link