www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: MEW GULL @ North Point Marina (Lake)  ( 7908 )

Ethan Gyllenhaal

• : 425
Re: MEW GULL @ North Point Marina (Lake)
« #15 : January 16, 2012, 06:27:35 PM »
Something interesting about this bird is how small the mirrors are. I'd guess this would suggest a subadult bird, any other thoughts? I'm pretty sure Common and Kamchatka can be ruled out.

Ethan

David B. Johnson

• David B Johnson
  • : 72
  • Always Birding!
« #16 : January 16, 2012, 06:30:23 PM »
The smudge on the lower mandible of the Mew Gull photographed can be there! I've seen this before in WA and in Wisconsin on a bird Andy Sigler and I observed several years ago at the Milwaukee Metro lakefront sewage treatment area.   

This is a perfect Mew Gull, nice job!  I believe that this is Lake County Illinois's second record.

Nice bird Beau and Adam!  Thanks for sharing!
David B Johnson

Matthew Cvetas

• Administrator
  • : 2696
« #17 : January 16, 2012, 07:20:01 PM »
I believe that this is Lake County Illinois's second record.

Might be the third.

January 20-25, 1993, Waukegan, Lake County (Al Stokie) (MJIB 2:3:100-101) (MJIB 2:3:111)
     January 20, 1993, Waukegan, Lake County (Al Stokie)
     January 21, 1993, Waukegan, Lake County (Danny Diaz, Dave Johnson)
     January 22, 1993, Waukegan, Lake County (Jim Neal, Dave Johnson)     
February 1, 1994, Waukegan, Lake County (Danny Diaz) (IORC 1994.005; DD, DBJ) (MJIB 3:3:116) (MJIB 7:2:56)
« : January 17, 2012, 08:28:04 AM Matthew Cvetas »
Nobody loves me but my mother, and she could be jivin' too.
-B.B. King

Eric Secker

• : 289
« #18 : January 16, 2012, 10:06:04 PM »
Thanks so much for posting this on IBET too Greg! For crying out loud why wouldn't you?  :'(

Amar Ayyash

• : 1621
    • Anything Larus
« #19 : January 17, 2012, 07:09:53 AM »
Congrats are in order for sure - nice catch Beau and thanks for refinding and confirming the bird, Adam.

Something interesting about this bird is how small the mirrors are. I'd guess this would suggest a subadult bird, any other thoughts? I'm pretty sure Common and Kamchatka can be ruled out.

Ethan

Ethan brings up a good point about the mirrors, especially those on P9. I recently observed (and photographed) several adult Mews with similar sized mirrors on P9 and even an individual with a broken one. So, I don't think the size of the mirrors - alone - are sufficient to dump this bird in the 3rd cycle category. If these mirrors are in any way an age-related yardstick, then this bird is likely a very young adult!

A question to think about, for those seduced by the finer points of ageing their gulls, is, could this still be a 3rd cycle (or adult-type) despite the adult-ish outer primary coverts? I guess what I'm trying to say is, does it get a perfect "10" in the adult category? What troubles me the most is P8 - does anyone have a better shot of this feather, or could yesterday's zealous observers speak about what looks like an absent gray tongue and white tongue tip? This is a distinguishing feature that is shown by Common.
Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.  -B. Russell
http://anythinglarus.com

Craig Taylor

« #20 : January 17, 2012, 07:15:49 AM »
Eric wondered why this wasn't put out on IBET.  So do I.  Adam had the bird at 1PM and nothing to IBET?

While Eric questions Greg, I'll expand it to include Adam, Paul and Andy.  I am surprised no one thought to get this onto IBET ASAP. 

Adam Sell

• : 438
« #21 : January 17, 2012, 07:24:57 AM »
I got the bird at noon, then lost the bird for a few hours while others were on their way.  Have no fancy phone to get it onto IBET.  Possibly just a mistake was made, which happens.
Adam Sell

Eric Secker

• : 289
« #22 : January 17, 2012, 08:00:28 AM »
Well, Adam, you did the right thing by calling someone to spread the word.  I figured you weren't anywhere with access to internet yourself.  Paul and Andy don't seem to have access all the time either, not sure.  Obviously Greg was able to post it here, just wish he would have posted it on IBET as well and can't understand why he wouldn't.

It's so much easier to check an e-mail list throughout the day then to load a forum on one's phone all day long to check for rare bird posts. A lot of people also just post a link to IBF on IBET or subscribe to notifications to IBF.  This is quite an inconvenience to anyone using their phone.  It's quite simple to hit copy, paste and post a message to both places.

Also, I keep an archive of all IBET posts going back through 2002 that I can easily search through.  I can search IBF but it is a slower process and because of the discussion format there are also a lot more posts that pull up that aren't of actual sightings.

Matthew Cvetas

• Administrator
« #23 : January 17, 2012, 08:11:07 AM »
What troubles me the most is P8 - does anyone have a better shot of this feather, or could yesterday's zealous observers speak about what looks like an absent gray tongue and white tongue tip? This is a distinguishing feature that is shown by Common.

The amount of black on P8 is something I noticed and stated earlier in this thread. I assume Amar means that the lack of gray tongue and white tongue tip on P8 is suggestive of the nominate subspecies, known in Europe as Common Gull (Larus canus canus).
-B.B. King

Tom Kelly

• Tom Kelly
  • ILRBA TEST
  • : 388
« #24 : January 17, 2012, 08:12:09 AM »
The advanced search on this forum is actually quite good, allowing searches by categories, poster/user, etc.  Not sure how you store the IBET messages, but I don't find searching this forum to be problematic.  And for the purposes of archives, there is now a record on IBET.

Also, a simple request/reminder to post rare birds on both sites would seem to suffice in this case, rather than calling out individuals.  Greg, and others who post here more than on IBET are generally good about posting 'Alerts' to both places.  My guess is that he was rushing out the door to go get the bird and didn't have a chance.
Tom Kelly

Matthew Cvetas

• Administrator
« #25 : January 17, 2012, 08:14:22 AM »
Or, I thought Greg had it setup that IBF automatically posted an RBA to IBET. Not sure if that feed is down or not. Looks like the last of these automatic posts was in November with the Montrose Townsend's Solitaire.
« : January 17, 2012, 08:29:38 AM Matthew Cvetas »
-B.B. King

Greg Neise

• Administrator
  • : 4439
  • IBF Owner/Administrator
    • In Plain Sight Communication
« #26 : January 17, 2012, 08:36:29 AM »
Or, I thought Greg had it setup that IBF automatically posted an RBA to IBET. Not sure if that feed is down or not. Looks like the last of these automatic posts was in November with the Montrose Townsend's Solitaire.

"My guess is that he was rushing out the door to go get the bird and didn't have a chance."

A bit of both, actually. IBF is set up to automatically send RBA notifications (of new posts only ... not replies) to IBET. But, it has to be "reset" after each occurrence, and it appears that I forgot/neglected to do that.

Sorry about that.
"Only the impossible always happens"
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Scott Cohrs

• : 196
« #27 : January 17, 2012, 09:10:29 AM »
Here's a suggestion for those who find searching the Forum cumbersome or time consuming, even on a smart phone (myself included).  I set this up about a month ago and it works quite nicely.  It's only a solution for those with smart phones, but it might help some people. 

All of the forum topics on this site are RSS feeds.  Meaning, you can subscribe to them using different RSS reading gadgets.  One of the popular ones is Google Reader.  You only need an e-mail address and a password to set up an account.  Once, you open an account, you can subscribe to any of the topic feeds.  Right now, I am subscribed to the Rare Bird and Field Trips report feed.  When something new is posted, that post will show up in the reader similar to an e-mail. 

Now, the handy part are the apps for the smart phones (go figure!!).  I use one called Reader, which I believe is free.  This syncs to your Google Reader account and will bring all your unread posts together under groupings.  You simply browse the grouping titles to see what has been posted.  I don't even read 95% of what comes up, but I can tell by the title if anything interesting has been seen.  You can add IBET as an RSS feed as well, and this app allows you to browse both at the same time.  I find Reader to be very easy to use, and this all takes under 10 minutes to set up. 

Of course, you have to check this for it to work, and I didn't look until later in the afternoon.  Couldn't have broken away anyway, but it's nice to live vicariously sometimes! 

Scott
St. Charles, IL

Greg Neise

• Administrator
« #28 : January 17, 2012, 09:18:33 AM »
The forum has a rather sophisticated notification system, that will send you an email to notify you that a new post has been made in anything (board, thread etc) you choose to follow.

To turn this on, simply click the "NOTIFY" button. See the screen shot below (and note that it this instance it says "UNNOTIFY" because I currently follow the RBA board.)

To get RBA notifications sent to you via email, simply go to the RBA board: http://www.ilbirds.com/index.php?board=1.0

...and click the "NOTIFY" button, next to the "new topic" and "new poll" buttons. That's it.

Greg Neise

• Administrator
« #29 : January 17, 2012, 10:37:23 AM »
Congrats are in order for sure - nice catch Beau and thanks for refinding and confirming the bird, Adam.

Ethan

Ethan brings up a good point about the mirrors, especially those on P9. I recently observed (and photographed) several adult Mews with similar sized mirrors on P9 and even an individual with a broken one. So, I don't think the size of the mirrors - alone - are sufficient to dump this bird in the 3rd cycle category. If these mirrors are in any way an age-related yardstick, then this bird is likely a very young adult!

A question to think about, for those seduced by the finer points of ageing their gulls, is, could this still be a 3rd cycle (or adult-type) despite the adult-ish outer primary coverts? I guess what I'm trying to say is, does it get a perfect "10" in the adult category? What troubles me the most is P8 - does anyone have a better shot of this feather, or could yesterday's zealous observers speak about what looks like an absent gray tongue and white tongue tip? This is a distinguishing feature that is shown by Common.

It does appear to have a gray tongue and rather small white tongue-tip:

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link