www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: MEW GULL @ North Point Marina (Lake)  ( 7908 )

Amar Ayyash

• : 1621
    • Anything Larus
Re: MEW GULL @ North Point Marina (Lake)
« #30 : January 17, 2012, 11:31:08 AM »
The amount of black on P8 is something I noticed and stated earlier in this thread. I assume Amar means that the lack of gray tongue and white tongue tip on P8 is suggestive of the nominate subspecies, known in Europe as Common Gull (Larus canus canus).

Somewhat. My concern is more of an ageing issue. This bird looks "perfect" for a Mew Gull including what looks like darker upperparts, shorter bill and the heavily marked head and hindneck (in comparison to Common). What I was getting at is that definitive adult Mews tend to show a cutting gray tongue with a white tip on P8 (this is a rather consistent feature that adds to the so called string of pearls on this species). In my limited experience, 3rd cycle Mews often lack the pattern adults show on P8, hence my curiousity as to whether a 3rd cycle bird is ruled out simply because it has adult-like primary coverts.

Greg, any other shots of the upperwing?

For the sake of not cluttering this thread, I've started a different discussion under "Identification" here:
http://www.ilbirds.com/index.php?topic=49883.msg71090
Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.  -B. Russell
http://anythinglarus.com

Jeff Skrentny

• Administrator
  • : 1272
  • Common Ground Dove, IL #370
« #31 : January 17, 2012, 03:09:42 PM »
I should also start another thread for this comment, but I was very surprised to see Craig and Eric's whinny remarks about the Mew Gull re-sighting not being on IBET.

Gentlemen, respectfully, if you are a serious birder in Illinois, a serious lister, a serious birding hobbyist, IBF is the FIRST place you should  be looking for information about birds, not the second.  I cannot imagine anyone who is serious about our hobby in Illinois looking to IBET first, not anymore.  It is cumbersome, full of frivolous posts (but always welcome, which is wonderful) and a conversation thread is almost impossible to intelligently have (much less re-examine at a later date), not to mention photos can't be shared.

I think both of you are simply showing a reluctance to changing technology, which I appreciate.  But time to get with the program if you ask me. 

Just 'cause you have an archive going back to 2002, doesn't mean all posts need to be on IBET.  And going forward I don't think they all will be.  IBET has and will remain an important place for birders to exchange thoughts.  But if you want to have a serious discussion with other serious hobbyists, IBF is where you need to be.  Times are a changing.  IBET was great at bringing a number of you kicking and screaming into the digital age, or so I have heard.  IBF is building a journal of our birding history that is far more comprehensive and valuable than any IBET archives will ever be, and you need to see that, accept it, and embrace this despite your personal preferences of how you want to archive information for yourself. 

Cloud sourcing is the future.  Craig, eBird supporter you are, you should know this better than most.  Embrace IBF, and learn to check it first, and though I am not predicting IBET will be gone anytime soon, I do think IBF is the place where the serious and vital information about our hobby is shared now because of the far superior formatting and grouping of threads which it allows, not to mention the photos, the search feature, the archive it is creating and the notifications which can be set up.   

So we don't co-opt the Mew Gull thread, feel free to respond to this on it's own thread here:  http://www.ilbirds.com/index.php?topic=49884.0.  Try doing that on IBET!
-jrrs
Jeff Skrentny
SkrentnySpeaks@me.com
Chicago, Cook County, IL

Aaron Gyllenhaal

• : 302
  • #359- Pomarine Jaeger
« #32 : January 17, 2012, 05:56:26 PM »
Any sightings today???

Joe Lill

• ILRBA TEST
  • : 193
« #33 : January 17, 2012, 06:37:54 PM »
<<Gentlemen, respectfully, if you are a serious birder in Illinois, a serious lister, a serious birding hobbyist, IBF is the FIRST place you should  be looking for information about birds, not the second.>>

Yes, but for many of us who don't have global internet access (sorry) and who update our email sporadically throughout the day, IBET is our lifeline. Now, I believe Greg has his system set up to do this so I'm fine with what he has in place, but many of us are doing quick checks throughout the day and email is a preferred mode for some. I'm a serious birder, a serious lister, but, in actuality, I'm a serious birding hobbyist. I check IBF when I have time, but email for a quick look before I go back to teaching.
Tonight I'm at home, with time to go through IBF posts. During the day, when I have two minutes to answer calls and check my school and personal email, I don't get to IBF. I'm not alone, and I'm very grateful for both methods of information transmission, but email is quick and to the point.

That being said, great find, Beau!!!

beauschaefer

• : 497
« #34 : January 17, 2012, 07:16:06 PM »
Thanks everyone. I appreciate your kind words.
Beau

bill rudden

• : 1220
« #35 : January 17, 2012, 08:42:53 PM »
Kudos also to Adam for relocating it not once, today, but twice -- once for himself and again for Andy, Greg, and me.  It was last seen at 4:20 p.m. flying out towards the lake.
Absolutely.  Remember this bird was first reported as a possible. (Unusual Sightings)
Beau had all the mixings but the concrete wasn't hard yet.
In Part:
    "I noticed a gull whose head and bill looked ridiculously small. The mantle was noticeably darker than every bird around it, and this bird was definitely smaller than the ring-billed gull it was swimming next to. I immediately thought "Mew Gull" but I had a couple of problems. #1 I saw no scapular crescent, which I know is an important ID point. However, the bird's feathers were slightly fluffed which, I think, may have made the crescent tougher to see. #2 The tertial crescent did not look much larger to me. All other ID points were good for a 2nd winter bird. It had dark coloration on the tip of the bill, heavy dark mottling around the head and neck, and a dark eye. The primary extension was also very long in comparison to the other birds....    I'm not thinking it will hang around till tomorrow, but I will go back anyway, and see if I can find it again. It's either a Mew Gull or a Mew x Ring-billed hybrid of some sort." 
Beau Schaefer

Kudos to the Gyllenhaals and Adam who believed and searched for the gull.
(as did Beau)
What a vote of confidence for Beau.  Great Field Birders All.

Matthew Winks

• Official Badass
  • : 737
« #36 : January 18, 2012, 08:35:04 AM »
I was wondering in the markings on the underwing coverts would have any indication to the Mew Gull's age. It seems somewhat dirty underneath and looks like there's some streaking on the leading edge of the underwings (patagia). I was thinking a full adult would look cleaner underneath. But I guess I've never really examined Ring-billed Gull underwings very closely.
If we pollute the air, water and soil that keep us alive and well, and destroy the biodiversity that allows natural systems to function, no amount of money will save us.

~David Suzuki

Robert D. Hughes

• Administrator
  • : 2158
    • The Orniphile
« #37 : January 18, 2012, 10:48:52 AM »
Has anyone been to look for the bird in the last couple days? I haven't seen any reports since Monday.

Robert D. Hughes
Chicago, Illinois
"Quick decisions are unsafe decisions."

Sophocles

Adam Sell

• : 438
« #38 : January 18, 2012, 11:38:27 AM »
I'm hoping to visit this afternoon
Adam Sell

Adam Sell

• : 438
« #39 : January 18, 2012, 02:14:33 PM »
Checked and didn't see the Mew after an hour of searching between 2 and 3.  All of the gulls were either on the lake or in the south harbor where the docks are located.  Bad lighting and distance made it hard to pick through the gulls this afternoon.  Hopefully the bird will make another appearance.
Adam Sell

Chris W

• : 31
« #40 : January 18, 2012, 03:03:15 PM »
Well, in accord with the vanishing posts and topics, my long, well thought out post about posting vagrants to IBET has well, just simply vanished. Fantastic.

In any case, the point is, please continue to post sighting updates to IBET, otherwise some of us will never receive them.

Thanks.
--Chris

Greg Neise

• Administrator
  • : 4439
  • IBF Owner/Administrator
    • In Plain Sight Communication
« #41 : January 18, 2012, 03:20:56 PM »
Well, in accord with the vanishing posts and topics, my long, well thought out post about posting vagrants to IBET has well, just simply vanished. Fantastic.

In any case, the point is, please continue to post sighting updates to IBET, otherwise some of us will never receive them.

Thanks.
--Chris

I moved it to discussion, which is where it should have been in the first place: http://www.ilbirds.com/index.php?topic=49884.msg71126#msg71126
"Only the impossible always happens"
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Aaron Gyllenhaal

• #359- Pomarine Jaeger
« #42 : January 19, 2012, 03:36:40 PM »
Checked there today but no gull. The gulls were literally at the WORST possible place and position (one could not see any wingtips on any birds), so I still have some hope.
« : January 20, 2012, 03:40:19 PM Aaron Gyllenhaal »

Aaron Gyllenhaal

• #359- Pomarine Jaeger
« #43 : January 21, 2012, 08:33:35 AM »
Mew Gull is currently just east of the yacht club building right next to the harbor entrance.
« : January 21, 2012, 08:58:25 AM Aaron Gyllenhaal »

Aaron Gyllenhaal

• #359- Pomarine Jaeger
« #44 : January 21, 2012, 03:38:40 PM »
Here are my photos of the Mew Gull from today. It flew farther out fairly quickly so I didn't have much time to get a good shot. When it flew right over my brother, I was in the car defrosting my feet. It left probably 3 minutes before the first people came. I never saw it next to a Ring-Billed, in fact, it was isolated most of the time. Other gulls included

1200+ Herring Gulls
10+ Ring-Billed Gulls (so few!)
7+ Thayer's Gulls (5 Adults, 2 First-Cycles)
3 "Kumlien's" Iceland Gulls (2 Adults, 1 First-Cycle)
1 Glaucous Gull (First Cycle)
1 Lesser Black-Backed Gull (Adult)
1 Great Black-Backed Gull (First-Cycle)
« : January 21, 2012, 03:54:06 PM Aaron Gyllenhaal »

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link