www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: Help finding large house sparrow flocks  ( 2096 )

mnwood

• Fledgeling
  • : 2
Help finding large house sparrow flocks
« : April 03, 2014, 08:50:12 AM »
Hey everyone,
I am looking for some help on finding large flocks of house sparrow, 50-100 individuals would be great! I am a graduate student looking to use them for some captive flock research. If you know of any areas that consistently have large house sparrow flocks please let me know.

Thanks!

Greg Neise

• Administrator
  • : 4439
  • IBF Owner/Administrator
    • In Plain Sight Communication
Re: Help finding large house sparrow flocks
« #1 : April 03, 2014, 09:52:24 AM »
I had a very large flock of HOSP (~250) coming to my feeder in Berwyn this winter. By late Feb./early March they had dropped to about 25 birds. Not sure why.
"Only the impossible always happens"
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rhonda R

• : 164
Re: Help finding large house sparrow flocks
« #2 : April 03, 2014, 02:30:38 PM »
Not sure where you're wanting to study but in southernmost Illinois, groups of House Sparrows can be found at cattle or hog farms, usually around the barns but roosting in any dense schrubs in the farm house yard. These are also locations/habitats we scour for Harris Sparrows in the winter.
"ooh, ooh, stepped in pooh" -phonetic/mnemonic of the Swainson's warbler song as per Bob Behrstock and the late David Markley from 'On The Warblers of Texas'.

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link