www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: Welcome to the eBird Topic Area!  ( 3677 )

Craig Taylor

• : 109
Welcome to the eBird Topic Area!
« : March 26, 2012, 09:44:44 PM »
Welcome to the newest topic area on IBF: eBird.

eBird has shown quite a bit of growth in Illinois over the last few years.  This is evidenced by the number of topics scatted around IBF where eBird comes up and becomes a thread within a thread.

For example…  Illinois Birders' Forum » General Discussion » Discussion » Little Gulls in Big numbers

…which can be viewed at:

http://www.ilbirds.com/index.php?topic=50194.0

Because of threads like this, I asked Greg if eBird could have it’s own topic area.  An area where people can discuss eBird, post questions etc., without cluttering up other topics.  If he would split BCN and eBird apart from it’s old format.

Greg has obliged and my first thought was, be careful what you wish for!

I say again, Welcome to the eBird Topic Area!

The current eBird volunteers in Illinois are:

Lee Ramsey - eBird Hotspot Reviewer
Michael Retter - eBird Record Reviewer
Matthew Cvetas - eBird Record Reviewer
Craig Taylor - eBird Record Reviewer

Lee reviews locations / hotspots.  “Your Hotspot suggestion has been approved.  The new hotspot should appear within 24 hours.”

Matthew reviews records in Cook and Lake Counties.  Michael and I review records in all 102 counties, but are thankful Matthew handles Cook and Lake.  “I am one of the volunteer regional reviewers for eBird and am writing to you about your observation of…”

In the Be Careful What You Wish For department, Greg surprised me and made me the “Moderator” of this topic area.  I have no idea what that means yet, but I believe I can inflict punishment on you if you start calling your VOLUNTEER (Lee, Matthew, Michael and I are all volunteers) eBird Record Reviewers bad names for invalidating your Waukegan Beach Laysan Albatross record.

So we’ll all have some fun and see how this goes.  I guarantee I / we won’t have all the answers regarding eBird, but I also guarantee I / we can get them for you.
« : March 27, 2012, 08:14:01 AM Craig Taylor »
"Do you eBird?"

Craig Taylor

"Behold the birds of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Matt. 6 : 26

beauschaefer

• : 497
Re: Welcome to the eBird Topic Area!
« #1 : March 27, 2012, 01:56:03 AM »
Hey Craig,
  Love the new topic area. I'm a huge ebird fan. I'm in Florida right now, and if it weren't for people putting their sightings on ebird, I wouldn't know where the most recent sightings of Swallow-tailed Kite, White-crowned Pigeon, Mangrove cuckoo, etc. were. It makes finding birds a ton easier. Everyone put your sightings on ebird. It creates an awesome database that all birder's can use in their everyday birding, not to mention the fact that the data is very useful for ornithological records.

Beau Schaefer

Ron Skleney

• Global Moderator
  • : 213
« #2 : March 27, 2012, 06:09:46 AM »
Craig,

This is great news and thanks for moderating!

I had ONE New Year's resolution this year and that was to set up an eBird account.  Craig, you were very helpful with my "newbie" questions as I was getting started.

I think it's terrific that a forum was created so that people can share tips.

Ron

Josh Engel

• : 426
« #3 : March 27, 2012, 08:05:34 AM »
This is great, Craig (and Greg). I review eBird records for one foreign country and may do more in the future, so if people have questions about eBirding across the Pond, on the other side of the Rio Grande, etc., I can try to help answer those.

Josh

evanglynn

• : 116
« #4 : March 27, 2012, 08:56:30 AM »
Great! I've been using eBird for just about 2 years now and have only been a member here for a few months. So I've actually been used to seeing many of your names on eBird.
Now with the new app, I can be even more active on eBird!

ybcuckoo

• : 101
« #5 : March 27, 2012, 10:06:54 AM »
Hey Craig,   You may want to put a link to the eBird power point presentation. People can download,view and then ask further questions. I spend a fair amount of time looking at various results on eBird and still have barely scratched the surface of what info one can find.

Jeff
Jeff Smith

Craig Taylor

• : 109
« #6 : March 27, 2012, 01:35:18 PM »
there are 2 eBird Powerpoints

General eBird Overview (What is eBird?)

How to be a better eBirder

These can be found at:

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/about/ebird-promotional-material

Thanks, Jeff.  Good suggestion.

"Do you eBird?"

Craig Taylor

"Behold the birds of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Matt. 6 : 26

Matthew Winks

• Official Badass
  • : 737
« #7 : March 27, 2012, 01:42:29 PM »
Maybe you should make this a sticky thread so it stays at the top.
If we pollute the air, water and soil that keep us alive and well, and destroy the biodiversity that allows natural systems to function, no amount of money will save us.

~David Suzuki

Marion Miller

• : 688
« #8 : March 27, 2012, 02:10:16 PM »
Thanks Craig and Greg.  Great idea!

I have just recently started to use Ebird and am glad to now have a spot to ask questions.
Also, I love to organize data, and I'm really enjoying Ebird.  If there is anyone who has old paper birdlist records and is holding off entering them because they don't like to do the mundane chore, I am willing to help out.

Marion
"Our lives are enriched not only by the birds we see, but also by the journey we take to see them." ~ Team TLC

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link