www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: Chickadees in the hybrid zone  ( 4016 )

Matthew Cvetas

• Administrator
  • : 2696
Re: Chickadees in the hybrid zone
« #15 : February 04, 2014, 10:32:08 AM »
Thanks for sharing these and they do indeed look like Carolina to my eye. The gray cheek is apparent, the neat triangular bib, and the muted edges to the wings.
Nobody loves me but my mother, and she could be jivin' too.
-B.B. King

bbumgardner

• : 35
    • Northwest Indiana Migratory Bird Association
« #16 : February 05, 2014, 09:09:17 PM »
Indiana is set up currently for eBird filters for the main CACH range, as well as the main BCCH range.  The middle "hybrid" zone is also a third filter area that allows users to select either chickadee species, BCCH/CACH, or chickadee sp.  For some reason hybrid BCCH/CACH is also offered, but that should probably be removed in favor of the BCCH/CACH option as primarily banders would be the main ones using that option.  Chickadee sp. should also be lumped into the BCCH/CACH option. 

But at least the correct chickadee is getting logged now for 90% of the state and incorrect IDs are getting flagged.

bb

Benjamin Murphy

• : 830
    • murphbirder
« #17 : February 09, 2014, 08:07:46 PM »
On my way to a work conference in Lafayette, IN, I was able to find some Carolina Chickadees at Kickapoo State Park today for state bird #278.  Thanks for the help Matthew!

Carolina Chickadee at Kickapoo State Park in Vermilion County, IL 06 by murphbirder, on Flickr

Carolina Chickadee at Kickapoo State Park in Vermilion County, IL 04 by murphbirder, on Flickr
« : February 09, 2014, 08:13:11 PM Benjamin Murphy »

Benjamin Murphy

• : 830
    • murphbirder
« #18 : February 12, 2014, 04:31:15 AM »
Andrew, thanks for the map!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael Retter

• : 909
    • Xenospiza.com
« #19 : February 13, 2014, 07:36:34 AM »
Well, this will change my life list for some counties in Ohio where I grew up :(  although I've only heard Carolina Chickadee songs there this can't be relied upon.  Although none were flagged by Ebird but I guess I'll have to go back and change them when the new check box for Black-capped/Carolina Chickadee is added.  I haven't had a chance to head to southern Illinois for my state lifer Carolina.

Randy

You don't have to go to S Illinois, Randy. They're found way up into Vermilion County.
Michael Retter
Fort Worth, TX
http://aba.org/birdersguide/editor.html

RLShonkwiler

• : 854
« #20 : February 13, 2014, 04:29:43 PM »
True, but I want to go to southern Illinois for other things, too :D

Andrew Aldrich

• : 215
    • My Flickr Page
« #21 : March 07, 2014, 08:06:39 AM »
Another interesting article to throw into the mix: http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/2014/03/warming-temperatures-push-chickadees-northward

The site that had been in the middle of the hybrid zone at the start of the study was almost pure Carolina chickadees by the end. The next site to the north, which Robert Curry of Villanova University, who led the field portion of the study, and his students had originally picked as a stronghold of black-capped chickadees, had become dominated by hybrids.

Female Carolina chickadees seem to be leading the charge, Curry said. Field observations show that females move on average about 0.6 miles between where they’re born and where they settle down. That’s about twice as far as males and almost exactly as fast as the hybrid zone is moving.

They also used eBird records to estimate where the hybrid zone had been a decade earlier and found the same relationship with temperature existed then. The only difference was that those temperatures had shifted to the north by about seven miles since 2000.

More motivation to scrutinize and document!

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link