www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: Alerts on ebird  ( 1299 )

Benjamin Murphy

• : 830
    • murphbirder
Alerts on ebird
« : March 24, 2014, 03:03:16 PM »
I appreciate the alerts on ebird for rare birds or for specific regions, but I wish I could continue to receive alerts on birds after I have reported them in a specific region for the year.  Just because I have already seen a particular bird in a particular region for the year does not mean that I don't want to see any more of that particular species until next year.  Is there away to do this short of setting up another account or not reporting the sightings until you have had your fill of Rusty Blackbirds or American Black Ducks for the year.  I know that you can continue to get alerts for rare birds, but it seems that with other birds, you can only get alerts on birds that you still need for your year list in a particular region.  Does anyone else have this concern?

Andrew Aldrich

• : 215
    • My Flickr Page
Re: Alerts on ebird
« #1 : March 25, 2014, 04:57:58 AM »
I think this would be an awesome feature!  There are a couple apps that allow you to browse recent sightings by species, Birdseye/BirdseyeNA come to mind, which are much easier than trying to navigate the full eBird site on a smartphone. 

Craig Taylor

• : 109
« #2 : April 02, 2014, 01:40:10 PM »
+1 Birdseye
"Do you eBird?"

Craig Taylor

"Behold the birds of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Matt. 6 : 26

PKZPhotos

• Fledgeling
  • : 2
« #3 : May 05, 2014, 08:39:15 PM »
If you are a Windows user, check out RareBirder at:

http://www.pkzsoftware.com/Pages/RareBirder.aspx

It will give you rare bird alerts from eBird.
« : May 07, 2014, 08:00:32 AM PKZPhotos »

beauschaefer

• : 497
« #4 : May 06, 2014, 06:36:21 PM »
Hey Benjamin,
  I don't have "alerts" for already-seen birds but what I do when I'm scouting for my big days is go to the Explore Data tab, scroll all the way to the bottom and hit ALL OBSERVATIONS. Then I punch my time frame in. If I want to know what was seen today, I type in WEEK REPORT for May 6. All the birds reported for that day will show up. You'll have to go to the bar graphs to get a readout for all the birds, though, and click on the one or more you want to check the sightings for. I hope this makes sense. It's been really useful for me.
Beau

Benjamin Murphy

• : 830
    • murphbirder
« #5 : May 06, 2014, 09:19:31 PM »
Thanks for the help, guys!

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link