www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: Question on Site Sighting Rules  ( 1369 )

Joan Norek

• : 279
    • The Law Office of Joan I. Norek
Question on Site Sighting Rules
« : February 05, 2015, 05:03:27 PM »
Perhaps the listing rules don't strictly apply to ebird submissions, but here is the question I have pondered every so often since I have been birding.

For county/state listings, the bird must be in that county/state no matter where the observer is. For backyard listing, seeing it from the yard is sufficient.

As to site listing, using North Pond as the example, if the bird is across one of the site's boundary streets should it be entered for North Pond site as you would do for a backyard or should it be entered on a separate list?

As to ecosystems, gulls seen across Canon are around a harbor ecosystem, pigeons seen across Lakeview in a high density residential ecosystem, etc.

On the other hand, entering separate lists, possibly a separate one for each direction, would take additional time while possibly not adding any value to the entries.

Joan

Craig Taylor

• : 109
Re: Question on Site Sighting Rules
« #1 : February 05, 2015, 09:12:08 PM »
"As to site listing, using North Pond as the example, if the bird is across one of the site's boundary streets should it be entered for North Pond site as you would do for a backyard or should it be entered on a separate list?"

Joan,

In the scenario above, IMHO, I would go ahead and enter it into North Pond, as you would a backyard list. A separate list for a bird seen across the street, technically not in North Pond, would be statistically insignificant as it pertains to location.
"Do you eBird?"

Craig Taylor

"Behold the birds of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Matt. 6 : 26

Joan Norek

• : 279
    • The Law Office of Joan I. Norek
« #2 : February 06, 2015, 03:44:55 AM »
Thanks Craig.

Joan

Josh Engel

• : 426
« #3 : February 06, 2015, 09:32:03 AM »
I completely agree with Craig. Apart from listing purposes, if you are going to check "yes" to the question "Are you submitting a complete checklist of the birds you were able to identify?", then you must include all the birds that you observe over the course of that particular checklist, no matter where the bird is physically located.

This gets tricky at geographical boundaries (for listing, at least), but it shouldn't be an issue at a place like North Pond.

Josh

Eric Secker

• : 289
« #4 : February 11, 2015, 09:08:42 PM »
Personally, up to the site level I've always counted birds as long as they were seen either when I was within the boundaries of the site or the bird itself was within the site even if I was standing outside of the boundaries of the site. Those were the rules we used when doing DuPage County Big Year Competitions with the DuPage Birding Club.  I'm pretty sure everyone counts Lake Michigan birds they see at Montrose or Gillson Park for example.

Once I reach the County / State level, I restrict it to birds that are within the actual boundaries of the county or state (the observer's location in this scenario is irrelevant).

Statistically speaking, counting birds across the street from a site is no big deal in my book. That data is more relevant than flyovers which are also counted and generally most people count them, so by your also counting them the same way the data will be more standardized. That said, site data has more limited use compared to a point count or transect that is monitored over multiple years. There are a lot of uncontrolled variables such as the route that you walked.

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link