www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: eBird Hotspot Ranking for the US  ( 5011 )

Leo Miller

• : 147
    • Easy Big Month and Year
eBird Hotspot Ranking for the US
« : July 30, 2015, 09:21:18 AM »
Using the Explore a Region site from the Explore Data eBird page, Montrose Point is number 32 on the Top 100 list with 324 species (http://ebird.org/ebird/country/US/hotspots?yr=all&m=). If all of the 339 species recorded there (http://theorniphile.info/birding-montrose-point/index.html) were listed on eBird, Montrose would be #14 on the Top 100 Hotspots! Amazing

Fran Morel

• ILRBA TEST
  • : 1277
Re: eBird Hotspot Ranking for the US
« #1 : July 30, 2015, 10:06:28 AM »
let's get them listed then....they could easily be be recorded as "incidental" viewings with just the date and approx time.....I'd be happy to do it, if someone gave me the information

Leo Miller

• : 147
    • Easy Big Month and Year
« #2 : July 30, 2015, 11:31:17 AM »
That would be an excellent contribution Fran. I don't know who has records for the 15 missing species. In fact it may not be easy to identify what the missing species are. Bob Hughes listed 25 rarities and I checked to see if they were on the eBird Montrose list. Most were but the following 6 species were not there: Reddish Egret, Swainson's Hawk,  Ross's and Ivory Gulls, Royal Tern and Ash-throated Flycatcher.

Matthew Cvetas

• Administrator
  • : 2696
« #3 : July 30, 2015, 01:11:50 PM »
Here's the list. I will email Bob to see how many of these he's seen and if he would be willing to enter them into eBird. He has an account. After that, we can figure out what to do.

King Eider
Barrow's Goldeneye
Reddish Egret
Golden Eagle
Northern Goshawk
Swainson's Hawk
Ross's Gull
Ivory Gull
California Gull
Royal Tern
Least Tern
Say's Phoebe
Ash-throated Flycatcher
Fish Crow
Varied Thrush
Green-tailed Towhee
« : July 30, 2015, 01:39:27 PM Matthew Cvetas »
Nobody loves me but my mother, and she could be jivin' too.
-B.B. King

Josh Engel

• : 426
« #4 : July 30, 2015, 02:15:55 PM »
Using the Explore a Region site from the Explore Data eBird page, Montrose Point is number 32 on the Top 100 list with 324 species (http://ebird.org/ebird/country/US/hotspots?yr=all&m=). If all of the 339 species recorded there (http://theorniphile.info/birding-montrose-point/index.html) were listed on eBird, Montrose would be #14 on the Top 100 Hotspots! Amazing

That is amazing. It would be interesting to see a similar list calculated as species/acre. Montrose is tiny compared to many of those hotspots.

Josh

Fran Morel

• ILRBA TEST
« #5 : July 30, 2015, 02:57:53 PM »
Ok, Matthew, let me know what you hear back. I assume Bob is not the only "observer?" dates would also be great. Although if he's willing to do it, that's cool by me.

Joe Lill

• ILRBA TEST
  • : 193
« #6 : July 30, 2015, 03:47:16 PM »
Wish I could personally help with that list, but I know that Jeff Sundberg had Least Tern there. He has a eBird account, so I can ask him put to in his sighting if Bob doesn't have it.

Joe

Matthew Cvetas

• Administrator
  • : 2696
« #7 : July 31, 2015, 07:02:19 AM »
Bob has seen at least half of these. I can find 8 corroborating IORC records.

Joe, see if Jeff will add Least Tern.
Nobody loves me but my mother, and she could be jivin' too.
-B.B. King

Robert D. Hughes

• Administrator
  • : 2158
    • The Orniphile
« #8 : July 31, 2015, 07:34:50 AM »
I'll work on this this weekend. I have a few things to say.

Bob H
"Quick decisions are unsafe decisions."

Sophocles

Craig Thayer

• : 299
« #9 : August 01, 2015, 04:02:44 PM »
I am not surprised about Montrose ranking so high nationally. When I tell AZ birders about Montrose they usually express disbelief.

In the "birding mecca" of SE Arizona the  #1 eBird hotspot is Patagonia Lake SP(310 species). Here in Tucson, Sweetwater Wetlands (about same size as Montrose) has recorded 300 species(293 listed on eBird plus 7 others) in 19 years(it was built in 1986)

Joe Lill

• ILRBA TEST
  • : 193
« #10 : August 04, 2015, 11:06:27 AM »
I was misremembering; Jeff's Least Tern was at Gillson.

Joe

Fran Morel

• ILRBA TEST
« #11 : August 27, 2015, 05:57:55 AM »
I ran into Leo earlier this week and he asked me what had happened to this initiative of updating Montrose records into eBird. I told him I'd post something soon to see if we can get this kickstarted. I'm willing to help enter records.

Bob, you had mentioned you had some thoughts about this idea?

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link