www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: Spring Lake SFWA, Tazewell County  ( 2983 )

JaneW

• : 43
    • Walk With Me
Spring Lake SFWA, Tazewell County
« : October 25, 2008, 06:59:35 PM »
Once the main channel of the Illinois River, Spring Lake is now an abandoned channel of the river, geologically classified as a “meander scar.” A high sandstone bluff borders the east side of the 1,946-acre site; it is one of the few Illinois River flood plain components where upland pine forests still exist. There are, in the Spring Lake area, a total of 7.5 miles of hiking trails spread over 3 different trail systems, which are great for studying the bird, insect, and plant life associated with the site.  American White Pelicans, Great Blue Herons, Great Egrets, Mute Swans, Pied Billed Grebes, American Coots, and other water fowl. Larry's Restaurant is one of the most reliable places to find Eurasian Tree Sparrows.

Map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=40.4682756,+-89.8661863&ie=UTF8&ll=40.468303,-89.86619&spn=0.062293,0.132179&t=h&z=14&g=40.4682756,+-89.8661863&iwloc=addr

eBird Hotspot coordinates:
Spring Lake State FWA (Tazewell Co.) (40.4682756,-89.8661863)
« : October 29, 2008, 02:29:54 PM JaneW »

JaneW

• : 43
    • Walk With Me
Re: Spring Lake SFWA, Tazewell County & Eurasian Tree Sparrows
« #1 : October 29, 2008, 02:31:41 PM »
Larry's Family Restaurant at Spring Lake SFWA is the most reliable place that I know of to see Eurasian Tree Sparrows.  It is not difficult to get to. Take  I-74 towards Peoria and exit before crossing the river. Go South on N. Main St (US150 & IL116) towards Pekin. It will become IL 29. Follow that to the south side of Pekin and turn right (East) at Manito Road, which is across from the prison. Follow the road until you get to a sign for Spring Lake. There is a sign for Spring Lake Sportsman's Cub before you get there, but that is not the correct road (I think there is a sign telling you that). There is a sign for Larry's at the intersection of Spring Lake Road and Manito Road.  Follow that road to the lake, and on to Larry's. His bird feeders are where you will see the sparrows, also in the bushes behind the restaurant.  Larry is a nice guy, so don't be afraid to go in an have a bite to eat.  It is a nice place.

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link