www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

Author Topic: Scope Backpacks  (Read 5677 times)

Matthew Cvetas

• Administrator
Scope Backpacks
« on: June 17, 2009, 12:58:04 PM »
Has anyone ever used either of these scope backpacks? They keep your hands free for your binoculars when hiking long distances and birding along the way. In addition, you can keep your scope assembled while you carry it.

My guide in the UK this past winter had the mulepack.

CleySpy Mulepack
http://www.cleyspy.co.uk/the-mulepack-c41.html

Wandering Tattler Tri-Pak
http://www.eagleoptics.com/tripod-accessories/wandering-tattler/wandering-tattler-tri-pak-black-backpack

-Matthew
Nobody loves me but my mother, and she could be jivin' too.
-B.B. King

Matthew Cvetas

• Administrator
Re: Scope Backpacks
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 08:39:46 AM »
I decided not to buy one of these, but a Escape Day Pack by L.L. Bean.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=57203&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=9197&feat=9197-tn&cat4=1098

While I can not carry the scope fully assembled, I pack my scope in the backpack itself and my tripod in the water bottle pocket secured with one of the built-in straps that are used to compress the pack horizontally. On Sunday, I tested this out hiking relatively short distances (half a mile to a mile at three separate locations) and it worked great. I was able to keep my hands free and bird along the way and quickly assemble the scope when a distant target presented itself.

-Matthew
Nobody loves me but my mother, and she could be jivin' too.
-B.B. King

Heloflyer

• Heloflyer
Re: Scope Backpacks--I bought a "Wandering Tattler" from Eagle Optics
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 04:45:53 PM »
I have a good tripod but hate walking around with it over my shoulder.   Anything you can do to keep your hands free to use your binoculars makes sense to me, so I purchased a Wandering Tattler Tripod "backpack"  and really like it.  It is basically a harness with straps for the Tripod.  I just attached it to my Manfrotto Tripod and it stays on all the time.  When you extend the legs the harness pack is out of the way so you can set up without removing it.  When it is time to go,  you collapse the legs, pull it on your back and go.  It has a pouch on the side facing your back that you can unzip and put some stuff in.  I put a small towel in it that acts as a pad between my back and the aluminum tripod. I don't recommend sticking anything in it that will dig into your back.(like a scope)

I typically like to walk a mile or two and can just wear the tripod on my back and it is very comfortable.  You can leave your scope on the tripod, which would end up behind your head turned sideways, but I prefer to pop off the scope and sling it over my shoulder.    I can easily go anywhere with binos, scope and tripod.  The rig costs about $50.00 and it has already paid for itself.  I probably would not take my scope out 50% of the time if I didn't have it.   Think about walking through a marsh area with a tripod and it pretty much is a showstopper.  With the backpack, it is easy to pack up and go within 15 seconds. 

Sherman

Re: Scope Backpacks
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 07:08:29 AM »
I'm a large format photographer and that means a tripod is a necessity.  I carry a tripod at all times when photographing.  I have taken some pipe insulation (that foam stuff you slip over hot water pipes) and put it over the legs of my tripod.  It offers padding when the tripod is on my shoulder and insulation from the cold metal legs when carrying the tripod in winter.  All in all a cheap way to make carrying a tripod over the shoulder less of a pain.

I recently purchased a Lowe Pro Nature Trekker AW backpack.  This pack comes with a tripod support which can be attached to the back of the pack or on either side.  Two legs of the folded tripod sit in a u-shaped thing and straps on the pack secure it.  For hiking long distances with camera gear and a tripod, hands-free this solution works well.  The pack will hold tons of camera gear or a scope, field guides, lunch, jacket, bug repellant- you get the idea.

The Nature Trekker AW (AW stands for 'All Weather' as it comes with a raincover, the pack itself isn't waterproof) can be pricey but I found a vendor on eBay that was selling them for about $160 or so.  If you want to carry more than your tripod and still be able to take the tripod hands-free it is worth checking out.

--Sherman

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link