www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

Author Topic: SAGE THRASHER @ NORTHERLY ISLAND  (Read 4754 times)

Greg Neise

• Administrator
  • IBF Owner/Administrator
    • In Plain Sight Communication
SAGE THRASHER @ NORTHERLY ISLAND
« on: November 10, 2009, 03:22:18 PM »
The SAGE THRASHER found by Karen Mansfield at Northerly Island today was still present at sunset. The bird is at the SE corner of the island in the brush around the small pines.

A few snaps that I managed to get:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 04:16:23 PM by Greg Neise »
"Only the impossible always happens"
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Paul Doughty

Re: SAGE THRASHER @ NORTHERLY ISLAND
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 03:58:17 PM »
Any ideas on the injury to the bird below the left eye?  The left side of the appears swollen, as the eye ring is less prominent.  Greg, you mentioned possibly a tick.

pkd

frakerpovc

• Matt Fraker
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 04:04:50 PM »
AMAZING Last picture, Greg -- how many times has ANYONE nailed down a Yeti and a Sage Thrasher in the SAME PHOTO! I believe that the two do not share ranges, so this is wonderful!

Great find, Karen! The bird does look either injured/ill. I don't believe that's a tick -- we don't usually see the larger engorging ticks on birds. Did anyone notice if it acted sick, or did it seem fairly bright and alert?

Matt Fraker
Sageless downstater
"Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment"
Pliny the Elder

Greg Neise

• Administrator
  • IBF Owner/Administrator
    • In Plain Sight Communication
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 04:55:28 PM »
4th state record of this species:

May 11, 1940, Lincoln Park, Cook County (William Dreuth) (Clark and Nice 1950)
     (Ford 1956) (Graber et al. 1970) (Smith 1958, 1972) (Bohlen 1978) (Mlodinow 1984) (Bohlen 1989)
October 24, 1974, Northwestern University, Cook County (Jerry Rosenband, Larry Balch, Bob Russell, Charles Clark) (IAB 172:32) (AB 29:1:67)
     (Bohlen 1978) (Mlodinow 1984) (Bohlen 1989)
December 26, 1969 - March 8, 1970, Winnetka, Cook County (Laurie Binford) (IORC 1969.002; JA) (IBB 6:1:11)
     December 26, 1969, Winnetka, Cook County (Laurie Binford, Charles Clark) (IAB 154:14) (IAB 154:25) (AFN 24:3:510) (Graber et al. 1970) (Smith 1972)
     December 27, 1969, Winnetka, Cook County (Laurie Binford, Charles Clark) (Bohlen 1978) (Mlodinow 1984) (Bohlen 1989) (Binford 1992)
     January 10, 1970, Winnetka, Cook County (Charles Clark, Chuck Westcott)
     January 17, 1970, Winnetka, Cook County (Jack Armstrong - photos ISM)
"Only the impossible always happens"
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Elliot Schunke

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 05:01:41 PM »
AWESOME BIRD!!!!
-------------
Elliot Schunke
currently in Tallahassee, FL
home is Milford, Iroquois Co.

Keith A. McMullen

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 05:45:27 PM »
A SAGE THRASHER and a JEFF SKRENTNY in the same pic!  Not sure about the thrasher, but I know a Skrentny needs to be documented!  HA!

Great bird, Karen!

Now, if only the great birding community (and photographers) can keep distance enough to keep this bird for a few days so that many more can get there to enjoy.

I'm curious how many Chi-town folks got there in time today before the sun set?  What is this evening and tomorrow's weather forecast?  I've seen rain in central and N. IL on the radar.

Good birdings!

Keith McMullen
O'Fallon, IL
warbler7@sbcglobal.net

Jeff Skrentny

• Administrator
  • Curve-billed Thrasher #366
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 06:51:23 PM »
First, Karen, CONGRATS on your persistence with your birding at Northerly Island, today it paid off big time.  

Great find, great ID.  

And you did it without a field guide that had that bird in it.  (Karen only had her Sibley East with her, no Sage Thrasher in it...see why I like my National Geo?). Anyway, you finally got a great bird all on your own, I hope, Karen, you will feel confident enough in your ID to count it on your state life list.  

Second, Neise, thanks so much for posting that photo...I don't how I will ever thank you.  

Fraker, my wife didn't know what a yeti was and didn't get the joke...maybe 'cause she has big feet?        

And Bill, really?  Just cause I didn't have that on my wish list I can't count it! Does that mean I have to remove the Glaucous-winged Gull and Tropical Kingbird from my year list too?  Ah, I love birding for these little surprises...so exciting.

And finally, on a bit of a more serious note, I do think this bird is injured.  Seems that a number of out of range birds often are.  Karen observed this bird for rather awhile earlier this afternoon before she got home to confirm the ID, and she just didn't think it was acting right.  So, though this is an exciting bird for all of us, like the Tropical Kingbird, in all likelihood these birds will suffer the fate that the Duluth Black Guillemot did, and that is a sad thought.  At least in his last bit of wandering it has added great joy for so many of us.  I hope this bird makes it, but I wouldn't wait until the weekend to go see it if you are thinking of chasing it.    

Here are a few of my Sage Thasher photos, plus one showing us all why Neise gets paid to take photos and I don't:

« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 07:10:20 PM by Jeff Skrentny »
-jrrs
Jeff Skrentny
SkrentnySpeaks@me.com
Chicago, Cook County, IL

Mike Baum

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 06:57:08 PM »
By my count the Yeti has passed me with his 313th year-bird- congratulations, Jeff.  Does anyone have advice re parking protocols for Northerly Island? 

Mike Baum
Mike Baum
Dahinda, IL

Jeff Skrentny

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 07:08:17 PM »
Parking at Northerly Island...easy and free!

Get off of LSD at 18th, drive behind the (space)shipwreck that the Bears play in and past the Field Museum, past the Shedd, and turn as if you are driving out to the Adler Planetarium.  Once you are driving directly at the Adler, the first stop sign you come to when you are driving east, turn right and follow it south all the way to the old Meigs Terminal building.  You can park on the north or south side of the building.  I park on the south side.  It is about a half mile walk+ to where the martin houses are.

Walk the line where the vegetation end and the rocky part begins a bit north of the houses going south toward the pines, if it is there is should flush and land in a visible perch.  

But again, I think this bird is ill or injured.  Though it flew around plenty, it was not as energetic or snappy as I think most thrashers I have seen are.  Someone joked it would be SE Owl or Peregrine food, I don't think that is too far from the truth.  

Oh, and Keith, yes, thanks to the SMS RBA that Greg set up, I sent out a group text at 313pm and the first folks who were subscribed to the service began arriving 20 mins later.  Sue made it from Alsip, to see the bird (how fast she was driving is anybody's guess) in 34 mins...she was looking at the bird at 347pm.  At least a dozen other birders from my count made it there as well.  

If you don't know about the SMS RBA service, learn how to subscribe to it at:

http://www.ilbirds.com/index.php?topic=27236.0

« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 07:22:26 PM by Jeff Skrentny »
-jrrs
Jeff Skrentny
SkrentnySpeaks@me.com
Chicago, Cook County, IL

Matthew Cvetas

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 07:19:07 PM »
First, Karen, CONGRATS on your persistence with your birding at Northerly Island, today it paid off big time. Great find, great ID.

You got that right, Jeff.

And you did it without a field guide that had that bird in it.  (Karen only had her Sibley East with her, no Sage Thrasher in it...see why I like my National Geo?).

You got that one wrong. See page 322. (Don't mind me. I'm just jealous. Couldn't get away from work.)

Mike, I hope I see you and the bird in the morning.
Nobody loves me but my mother, and she could be jivin' too.
-B.B. King

Jeff Skrentny

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 07:26:24 PM »
I will pass the buck on that Sibley East comment to Karen, I don't use mine any longer and that is what she told me...

She is gonna be so pissed at me for sharing this isn't she!

Hope you all find it tomorrow, should be rather a crowd there in the AM best I can tell from calls, text messages and what is written here.  Be nice to the bird.  Once it flushes it stays cooperative as long as you keep your distance.  Let's everyone remember Keith's advice on this for the other birders downstate who may want to come up and see this bird. 
-jrrs
Jeff Skrentny
SkrentnySpeaks@me.com
Chicago, Cook County, IL

Fran Morel

• ILRBA TEST
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 07:47:41 PM »
great find, karen

great pics, y'all.....

i hope it hangs for everyone tomorrow........and maybe til friday for me.......

very cool.......

fran

Paul Massey

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 08:03:46 PM »
Great bird Karen
        To add to Keith's list any banding likely?
        cant get there until Saturday .
        How long has this species typically lingered ?
        Paul Massey

tom_lally

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 09:34:22 PM »
4th state record of this species:

May 11, 1940, Lincoln Park, Cook County (William Dreuth) (Clark and Nice 1950)
     (Ford 1956) (Graber et al. 1970) (Smith 1958, 1972) (Bohlen 1978) (Mlodinow 1984) (Bohlen 1989)
October 24, 1974, Northwestern University, Cook County (Jerry Rosenband, Larry Balch, Bob Russell, Charles Clark) (IAB 172:32) (AB 29:1:67)
     (Bohlen 1978) (Mlodinow 1984) (Bohlen 1989)
December 26, 1969 - March 8, 1970, Winnetka, Cook County (Laurie Binford) (IORC 1969.002; JA) (IBB 6:1:11)
     December 26, 1969, Winnetka, Cook County (Laurie Binford, Charles Clark) (IAB 154:14) (IAB 154:25) (AFN 24:3:510) (Graber et al. 1970) (Smith 1972)
     December 27, 1969, Winnetka, Cook County (Laurie Binford, Charles Clark) (Bohlen 1978) (Mlodinow 1984) (Bohlen 1989) (Binford 1992)
     January 10, 1970, Winnetka, Cook County (Charles Clark, Chuck Westcott)
     January 17, 1970, Winnetka, Cook County (Jack Armstrong - photos ISM)

From the WSO website.
-- three Wisconsin records
1. May 10, 1972 Waukesha,     John E. Bielefeldt
2. May 14, 1988 Door,     Kevin Glueckert
3. Dec. 15,1979 to early Feb. 1980 Dane,     John W. Fitzpatrick
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
- Hunter S Thompson

beauschaefer

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 03:32:08 AM »
Great find, Karen!
I'm just curious as to why this bird has a dark eye. Every picture I've seen in the 5 field guides that I have with a Sage Thrasher in them have birds with pale irises (including a juvenile in the Smithsonian guide). Can anyone educate me a bit?

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link