www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: Illinois's 2nd Inca Dove record from 2009  ( 3497 )

calcariusp

• : 68
Illinois's 2nd Inca Dove record from 2009
« : October 08, 2010, 08:30:11 PM »
Just thought I’d mention about Illinois’s 2nd Inca Dove record that most folks may have forgotten about or didn’t even knew occurred.  Sulli Gibson posted to IBET in early fall 2009 about an Inca Dove he had learned about that was seen and photographed in Glenview in late August 2009.  A nice, full-frame portrait photo of the bird was linked to the post, but unfortunately the bird had been a one-day wonder, and was not learned about for a few weeks.  At the time, only a few follow-up posts were made, all but one (& mine) thinking or asking why the bird wasn’t just an escaped cage bird.  Only I and Sebastian Patti commented that the bird was likely a legitimate vagrant and not just an escaped cage bird.  Sebastian would know even better than I, since he is from, and has co-authored a book on birding in Kansas, where this species is seeing a very dramatic increase in its population.
Just a couple thoughts that folks might want to keep in mind about such birds, especially if they have access to a photo of the bird, as was available with this bird.  The excellent photos of this second bird show a fresh plumage with little if any noticeable feather wear, and would not be typical for a caged bird, which would show a lot of wear in various parts of the plumage.  Also, the fact that this 2nd bird was a one-day wonder, would to me, be rather unusual for an escaped cage bird, who upon finding a ready and steady source of food after escaping from its cage and wandering who knows how long and far, finds a great source of food…then leaves the next day!  Doesn’t  make much sense.  To me, it makes more sense that the bird was a wild vagrant.  Third, folks that  thought it unusual that the Inca Dove showed up in an urban back yard, apparently don’t realize that Inca Doves are actually much more common in their normal range, in towns and villages, than they are in more wild and remote habitats.
   So, I contacted Doug Stotz to tell him about this record, that he did not have in his fall report and did not know about or remember, and so, it  is now in his fall report, and will likely be accepted by IORC as Illinois’s second record.  Both Inca Dove and White-fronted Dove populations are exploding northward…including new breeding records farther northward, so any records should be considered rare vagrants unless plumage features or other traits cause one to consider otherwise.  Kind of interesting, just as the recent Sandwich Tern possibly being of the European subspecies, instead of the more likely North American subspecies.  Good birding!

Steve Bailey

Jeff Skrentny

• Administrator
  • : 1272
  • Common Ground Dove, IL #370
Re: Illinois's 2nd Inca Dove record from 2009
« #1 : October 09, 2010, 08:22:45 AM »
This sighting sure escaped my radar...Sulli, or anybody else, can you repost the original report or the photo Steve references, or a link to it?  I would love to see that photo and study the feathers for the wear Steve references above.

Thanks!   
-jrrs
Jeff Skrentny
SkrentnySpeaks@me.com
Chicago, Cook County, IL

Sulli Gibson

• ILRBA TEST
  • : 665
« #2 : October 09, 2010, 07:43:52 PM »
I posted it on IBET but it was awhile ago. You can view the photograph at the URL below.

http://kevinwalshphotography.smugmug.com/Animals/Wildlife-Birds/4191604_Pdy4g#705653220_E8EE9

Jeff Skrentny

• Administrator
  • : 1272
  • Common Ground Dove, IL #370
« #3 : October 11, 2010, 09:40:49 PM »
Thanks Sulli, it was wonderful to see the photo of a bird that got away.  Thanks.
-jrrs
Jeff Skrentny
SkrentnySpeaks@me.com
Chicago, Cook County, IL

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link