www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

Author Topic: Black Meadowhawk (Sympetrum danae) at Northerly Island!  (Read 875 times)

Nick Block

Black Meadowhawk (Sympetrum danae) at Northerly Island!
« on: September 09, 2011, 01:08:12 PM »
While birding Northerly Island this morning around 10 AM or so, I was shocked to flush a male Black Meadowhawk from the grasses ~50m south of the terminal building.  OdonataCentral does not show any records for this species from IL, although it theoretically occurs in the state.  Of course, I didn't have a net or camera with me!!  GRRRR!  Anyway, if anyone feels like trying to find it and photograph it, please do!!  I don't think I'll have time to get back out there today.

Cheers,
Nick Block
Oak Park, IL

Nick Block

Re: Black Meadowhawk (Sympetrum danae) at Northerly Island!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 08:53:57 PM »
I was able to run back out there around 4:15 with Josh Engel.  We were able to flush a single Black Meadowhawk again, but this one was a female!  Kind of crazy that it's a first state record, and there are actually two individuals there.  I have no idea where they might have come from...possibly blown across the lake?  Anyway, here's a photo of the female showing the diagnostic thoracic pattern.  We also added White-faced Meadowhawk and Familiar Bluet to the site's day list.

-Nick
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 09:00:35 PM by Nick Block »

demicent

• Fledgeling
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 12:35:14 PM »
Wow!  That's pretty exciting

Carolyn

Linda

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 07:15:25 AM »
Wonderful!  Would love to see one of those. 

Linda Padera

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link