www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

Author Topic: Millennium Park Black-throated Blue Warbler, 12/27 a.m  (Read 3381 times)

Robert D. Hughes

• Administrator
    • The Orniphile
Millennium Park Black-throated Blue Warbler, 12/27 a.m
« on: December 27, 2011, 06:59:57 AM »
Dave Johnson found a male  Black-throated Blue Warbler at the north end of Millennium Park in downtown Chicago this morning. I saw and photographed the bird at about 8:30. The bird is just north of the McDonald's Cycle Center, feeding from sapsucker holes in what look like small birch trees. The McDonald's Cycle Center is on Randolph between Michigan Avenue and Lake Shore Drive, across the street from the Prudential building, where Dave works, and the Blue Cross Blue Shield building, where I work. I'll post photos when I get home later today. Pretty amazing.

Robert D. Hughes
Chicago, Illinois
"I have firmly decided to bite the dust with a minimum of medical assistance when my time comes, and up to then to sin to my wicked heart's content."

- Albert Einstein

Robert D. Hughes

• Administrator
    • The Orniphile
Re: Millennium Park Black-throated Blue Warbler, 12/27 a.m
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 10:44:54 AM »
He was still present as of 12:30 in the same place. There's also a male Yellow-bellied Sapsucker in this area, which I forgot to mention in my first post. I looked for but did not see the AON Center Harris's Sparrow from last week. There are however about a dozen White-throated Sparrows here.

Robert D. Hughes
Chicago, Illinois
"I have firmly decided to bite the dust with a minimum of medical assistance when my time comes, and up to then to sin to my wicked heart's content."

- Albert Einstein

Greg Neise

• Administrator
  • IBF Owner/Administrator
    • In Plain Sight Communication
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 11:44:12 AM »
Amar and I were able to relocate this bird, right where it has been reported. #301 for me for the year, and species that I was certain I had missed for 2011. We laso watched a Snowy Owl (appeared to be a male) feeding on something on the breakwater off Navy Pier. This bird was viewed from the respectable distance of 2.2 miles.
"Only the impossible always happens"
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Robert D. Hughes

• Administrator
    • The Orniphile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 12:12:57 PM »
We also watched a Snowy Owl (appeared to be a male) feeding on something on the breakwater off Navy Pier. This bird was viewed from the respectable distance of 2.2 miles.

Too close.

Bob H

- Albert Einstein

Steve Spitzer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 01:56:14 PM »
We laso watched a Snowy Owl (appeared to be a male) feeding on something on the breakwater off Navy Pier. This bird was viewed from the respectable distance of 2.2 miles.

I dunno. Seems a bit close to me. :)

Also, the Harlequin ended up being just north of the mouth of Belmont Harbor.
Steve Spitzer

Robert D. Hughes

• Administrator
    • The Orniphile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 05:00:46 PM »
Here's a photo of the Black-throated Blue Warbler I took this morning. The greenish edging to the upperpart feathers indicates that this bird is in its first cycle. I've also included a photo of the male Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, which seems only fitting because there probably wouldn't be a Black-throated Blue Warbler without this sapsucker.

What will show up at Millennium tomorrow and the days to come?

Robert D. Hughes
Chicago, Illinois

- Albert Einstein

Marion Miller

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 05:18:05 PM »
Nice photos, Robert.

I've also included a photo of the male Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, which seems only fitting because there probably wouldn't be a Black-throated Blue Warbler without this sapsucker.

What does this mean?

Marion
"Our lives are enriched not only by the birds we see, but also by the journey we take to see them." ~ Team TLC

David B. Johnson

• David B Johnson
  • Always Birding!
Black-throated Blue Warbler, Chicago, Millennium Park
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 05:36:46 PM »
Fellow IBFers,

On my way to work this morning in the City I thought I'd stop with two bags of bird seen to entice Robert Hughes' Harris's Sparrow to reappear in front of the Aon Bldg on Randolph Street east of Michigan Avenue.  On my way I heard several White-throated Sparrows in Millennium Park and while I was stopped at the sidewalk next to the McDonald's Cyclery Center at 239 E. Randoplh St. I hear another White-throated Sparrow under a juniper along with some House Sparrows, I pished and out flew a male Black-throated Blue Warbler on one of 3 trees next to the sidewalk.  I noticed sapsucker drill holes were being used by the warbler to obtain food and sap and soon I also saw the sapsucker on the other side of the tree, but I was more interested in the Black-throated Blue Warbler that also feed on the ground with the sparrows!  I couldn't believe it!!!  After studying the bird for 10 minutes or more I crossed the street where I almost immediately ran into Bob Hughes and told him of the news!  And--he had a camera!  We raced back across Randolph Street whereupon Bob began to capture images of the warbler.  Whew, documentation done by a photo!  Prior to this I also posted the sighting on IBET.  Luckily others were able to come see this out of season warbler and latest record for Illinois and only winter record! (thanks Paul Clyne!).

Bob stated that he'd try to post photos later on today.  Hopefully he can!  One of my birding friends Karen Lund stated, "how come you're finding all these blue passerines lately?"   Well good things come in threes and I'm waiting for number three!  (Number one was an Indigo Bunting on 25 Dec on the Chicago Lakefront CBC!).

I've seen warblers at these sapsucker drill holes particularly Yellow-rumped Warblers, Cape May Warblers and Orange-crowned Warblers, and also Ruby-crowned Kinglets and I've watched them getting sap nutrients from these holes and not just insects though they can be at these holes, too.

Good Birding to All and Happy Holidays.  This was a Holiday Surprise to say the least!

David B. Johnson
NE IL
djohnsoda@comcast.net
David B Johnson

Robert D. Hughes

• Administrator
    • The Orniphile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 05:49:59 PM »
Nice photos, Robert.

I've also included a photo of the male Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, which seems only fitting because there probably wouldn't be a Black-throated Blue Warbler without this sapsucker.

What does this mean?

Marion

I think the warbler is surviving on sap and perhaps insects attracted to the sap and the sapsucker drilled the holes in the trees.

Bob H

- Albert Einstein

Amar Ayyash

• Anything Larus
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 06:14:48 PM »
Marion, here's an article that talks about sapsuckers indirectly providing a food source for various species:
http://northernwoodlands.org/outside_story/article/yellow-bellied-sapsuckers-provide-food-for-many-species

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.  -B. Russell
http://anythinglarus.com

Amar Ayyash

• Anything Larus
Re: Black-throated Blue Warbler, Chicago, Millennium Park
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 06:51:44 PM »
Nice spot, Dave! It took us a little over 5 minutes to find this bird this morning, and at one point, I had to remind myself I was looking for a Black-throated Blue Warbler. 
Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.  -B. Russell
http://anythinglarus.com

Marion Miller

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 07:05:33 PM »
Thanks Bob for that explanation. 
here's an article that talks about sapsuckers indirectly providing a food source for various species:
http://northernwoodlands.org/outside_story/article/

Thanks Amar....after reading this article I'm thinking maybe we will get our "broad-tailed hummingbird" after all. ;)

Marion
"Our lives are enriched not only by the birds we see, but also by the journey we take to see them." ~ Team TLC

Robert D. Hughes

• Administrator
    • The Orniphile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 07:02:00 AM »
The bird was present this morning in the same spot at 8:30.

Robert D. Hughes
Chicago, Illinois

- Albert Einstein

Hedgehog

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 10:52:16 AM »
I saw him at around 11 this morning. 

Matt
Chicago, IL

birdbaum

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 11:07:49 AM »
There at noon.  He was hanging out with some house sparrows under a shrub below the trees in which he was seen.  Luckily for me a fellow birder had the smarts to look down, not just up  (Thanks Joe).

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link