www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: Northern Saw-whet Owl; Red Crossbill; Fraker Farm, Woodford Co; 11/20/12  ( 1866 )

frakerpovc

• Matt Fraker
  • : 1320
With such a beautiful afternoon, I took a much needed mental and physical scamper out into the Farm today after work. I was hoping for Owls and/or Crossbills.

I was quickly rewarded with our first Winter owl of the season, this Northern Saw-whet Owl:

This little guy was in an odd spot -- it was about two stories up in a Norway Pine. This is an iPhoniscoped shot. I attached a photo below of real perspective to show where it was. I am not confident that this is a solid roost -- my gut feeling is that this will be a "one and done" bird; but if it becomes a good roost, or I find one, I will be happy to get people out here on this bird when/if possible.

Deciding I better look around a little bit more, I had a lone male Red Crossbill fly in calling and land treetop quite a ways away -- here is a very edited picture of this little visitor:

During my hour plus of further owl searching, I heard this little dude one other time.

Kinda weird looking at a Saw-whet and a Crossbill in 65 degree weather...
"Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment"
Pliny the Elder

Fran Morel

• ILRBA TEST
  • : 1277
so, did you just happen to scope that tree, cause you've had owls there before.....?????  I've had people point to saw-whets that are at eye level and they're hard to find......

I doubt you're seeing any wash from that little owl 40 feet down.....so I'm assuming you had a hunch of sorts.....

Fran

Brendon Lake

• : 652
  • #368 - Franklin's Gull
    • Brendon Lake Photography
Excellent find! I hope to get one this winter, and what a great shot! There are only two owl species left for me to find in Illinois and that is one of them.

Brendon Lake
Brendon Lake
Wildlife Photographer Hopeful
http://brendonlake.zenfolio.com/

evanglynn

• : 116
Good stuff, Matt.
Quite the find way up in that tree!

Marion Miller

• : 688
so, did you just happen to scope that tree, cause you've had owls there before.....?????  I've had people point to saw-whets that are at eye level and they're hard to find......

I doubt you're seeing any wash from that little owl 40 feet down.....so I'm assuming you had a hunch of sorts.....

Inquiring minds want to know, too?

Nice report and photos.

Marion
"Our lives are enriched not only by the birds we see, but also by the journey we take to see them." ~ Team TLC

frakerpovc

• Matt Fraker
  • : 1320
Thanks, Brendon and Evan. If we get one to sit this Winter, you will all be more than welcome to come look at it.

Fran and Marion -- I was laughing when I took that "perspective" shot in a "what the heck" kind of way. No -- wash is not very helpful when it is all landing 20 feet above you.

I have had Long-eareds use this stand on several occasions so I had just started surfing the pines with my binocs for "hidden" Long-eareds (i.e. ones that don't silhouette out). On the very first tree I was surfing this little guy literally popped into view only after about five to 10 seconds of looking. I just stared at it dumbfounded with a frontal lobotomy look on my face.

I wish they were all that easy...

"Temperance, like chastity, is its own punishment"
Pliny the Elder

philtimberlake

• Fledgeling
  • : 5
Does "iPhoniscoped" mean you used a plain old iPhone or do you have some kind of "iPhoniscope" device?

And congrats on that photo!
Phil Timberlake

Keith A. McMullen

• : 854
Nice find, Matt.

Great photo, too!

Keith

Greg Neise

• Administrator
  • : 4439
  • IBF Owner/Administrator
    • In Plain Sight Communication
FWIW, the Saw-whets that spend the winter in the pines at Bartel Grassland (usually up to a dozen), almost always roost in the tops of the 40' tall trees.
"Only the impossible always happens"
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Matthew Cvetas

• Administrator
  • : 2696
Does "iPhoniscoped" mean you used a plain old iPhone or do you have some kind of "iPhoniscope" device?

Hi Phil,

iPhoniscoping is digiscoping with an iPhone. In other words, Matt took a picture with his iPhone by holding it up to his scope's eye piece. You can also do the same with an iPhone and binoculars.

Here's a tutorial on how to do it.
« : November 20, 2012, 06:38:17 PM Matthew Cvetas »
Nobody loves me but my mother, and she could be jivin' too.
-B.B. King

Shanin8

• : 57
What a beautiful shot! I hope it sticks around!
Be silly. Be honest. Be kind. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

philtimberlake

• Fledgeling
  • : 5
Thanks for the tutorial, Matthew!
Phil

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link