www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: Rend Lake CBC results  ( 1533 )

Keith A. McMullen

• : 854
Rend Lake CBC results
« : December 15, 2012, 06:17:10 PM »
Hey Gang,

The rains moved through in the wee hours of the morning, which made owling difficult, but that's why 1 crazy compiler began the count at 2:30 AM, nabbing 4 owl species in the process (the 3 expected, plus 1 calling N. SAW-WHET!).

The group of 13 assembled at 6:30 with raindrops still lingering, clouds a rolling and winds just "warming up" for what was to become the windiest CBC I've ever participated in. (We had gusts well over 35 later in the AM and most of the afternoon!).

Despite the difficult conditions, our group trudged on, 13 folks in 5 to 6 parties. Every team added something to the overall species list which is always nice and several unexpected species brightened the day.

Some of the better finds included: PINE SISKIN (2 groups had a single bird), ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER (1 bird found by Dan Kassebaum), FORSTER'S TERN (10 found by Don Mullison and Leonard Stanley), YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER (only 1, found by Vicki Lang and Rhonda Rothrock), 4 DUNLIN, 1 LESSER YELLOWLEGS and 2 groups of LEAST SANDPIPERS, totalling around 60 birds (all 3 species tallied by Don and Leonard). Mark Seiffert and I had the Nason Point Refuge area so our mission was to score the waterfowl. We did fairly well, missing only COMMON GOLDENEYE (which Dan had on the main lake) and GREATER SCAUP and WOOD DUCK which no one tallied. We had 5 goose species (CANADA, CACKLING, SNOW, ROSS' an GREATER WHITE-FRONTED) and we flushed the only LECONTE'S SPARROW on the day.

En route to the compilation at the end of the day, I told Mark I'd be shocked if we tallied 90 species, a respectable #, but one we're disappointed with on Rend's CBC. Our entire group was shocked as we tallied the lists and much to our surprise was a grand tally of 103 species!  Once again, Rend Lake CBC has surpassed the 100 species mark.

Considering today's less than perfect conditions, by a longshot, we believe this 103 species day will be one we don't forget for a long time, despite NOT being a record setting count.

Good luck to all of you on your CBC's and I hope that others will post similar results and stories to IBF and IBET!

Good birdings and Happy Holidays to All!

Keith McMullen
Rend Lake CBC compiler
O'Fallon, IL

Mike Baum

• : 245
Re: Rend Lake CBC results
« #1 : December 16, 2012, 11:04:53 AM »
Here you go, Keith.  Ten of us went out into the Eastern Knox Co. CBC area on Friday the 14th.  Temps ranged from 30 to low 50's with sun most of the day and amazing calmness.  Our species total was 71, very respectable, but 9 short of our high.  On a CBC one hopes for lingerers as well as the first of the late arrivers.  We had neither.  One hen hoodie ends the list of divers, for instance.  I have never seen Spoon Lake (where I live) so devoid of birds, and this has been going on for days.

We tallied 14 raptor species which is excellent for us, including 6 owl sp: long-ear, short-ear, the 3 residents, and a saw-whet by Jim Mountjoy, a first for our count.  Jeff Walk tallied sharpies and Cooper's, Jim had a red-shoulder, and harrier, bald eagle, red-tail, rough-leg, and kestrel round out the list.

I had 1265 white-fronts, a record by far and outnumbering Canadas by almost 10 to 1!  Other highlights for me were n. shrike (Jeff also had 1), a yellow-rump, and 2 c. redpolls with 30 siskins feeding on alder catkins.  Minor highlights include sapsucker, wood duck, several fox sparrows, and red-breasted nuthatch.  Misses included all the game-birds and for the first time ever c, goldeneye.  By the way, Keith, check my Facebook page for a different take on our day. 

Sounds like you, Mark, and Dan did well, so in keeping with the season, congratulations to the three scrooges!
Mike Baum
Dahinda, IL

Keith A. McMullen

• : 854
« #2 : December 16, 2012, 01:20:34 PM »
Thanks, Mike.

I'd trade you several species for a LONG-EARED OWL, NORTHERN SHRIKE, ROUGH-LEGGED and a few others since those would all be good birds for us :)

Happy Holidays!

Keith

mountjoy

• : 217
« #3 : December 16, 2012, 01:32:15 PM »
If you are insatiable, I have posted my summary of the Eastern Knox CBC on IBET and as a separate topic here on IBF.  It may not have the eloquence of Mike's versions (both a pleasure to read) but I can promise additional data!  (Do I dare use that word?  >:D )

Jim

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link