www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: First pair of binoculars  ( 1678 )

Zoran B

• Fledgeling
  • : 6
First pair of binoculars
« : June 11, 2013, 01:37:50 PM »
I'm looking to get my first pair of binoculars and saw that BHP Photo had a sale on these trailblazers:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=482992&is=REG&Q=&A=details

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/Nikon-Products/Binoculars/8220/Trailblazer-8x42.html

I feel this would be a good starter pair until I see how serious I want to get with this hobby. They have gotten really good reviews by birders on BHP and Amazon but I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience with these. I know there are some differences between these and the Monarchs but considering the price, I don't have a problem upgrading down the line if I need to.

Rhonda R

• : 164
Re: First pair of binoculars
« #1 : June 12, 2013, 06:42:28 AM »
Have you visited Eagle Optic's site?  They have good optics are good prices and provide great advise too.  If you phone them and tell them what you're looking for, they'll make some suggestions.  They sell Eagle Optics brand binos that are economy versions of higher-end optics.  Greg has a link to Eagle Optics below.  When I purchased my first scope, I'd priced out a scope at their sight which was, I thought, the best scope for the money I had to spend.  I phoned them to place the order.  The sales person asked questions about what I was looking for and stated that I could get the same quality scope for less by switching brands.  I saved enough money that I was able to purchase both a fixed and zoom lens for the scope.  That little scope served me well for many years.  Since then I've upgraded twice.  The little scope I passed to a friend for his daughter.  As for the other two scopes, I switch between them depending on the situation. Long story short, you might check out Eagle Optic's site.  Look for their sales page.
"ooh, ooh, stepped in pooh" -phonetic/mnemonic of the Swainson's warbler song as per Bob Behrstock and the late David Markley from 'On The Warblers of Texas'.

Ron Skleney

• Global Moderator
  • : 213
« #2 : June 12, 2013, 12:10:10 PM »
I agree with Rhonda's sound advice.  I have been doing business with Eagle Optics since before the days of the internet and have been thoroughly satisfied with their product advice and service.  I suggest you click on the link at the bottom of the page.

Ron

Fran Morel

• ILRBA TEST
  • : 1277
« #3 : June 12, 2013, 04:28:39 PM »
+1 Eagle Optics

Eric Secker

• : 289
« #4 : June 12, 2013, 05:45:15 PM »
I love Eagle Optics as well and highly recommend them.

Sadly Eagle Optics doesn't sell the Nikon Monarchs anymore. They only sell their own / Vortex brand which look sometimes questionably similar to the Nikon Monarchs.

The Nikon Monarchs or Eagle Optics Rangers or Denalis are all great binoculars for the price.  I think the Monarchs still have a slight edge in design and other small features.  I don't like the bumps on the focus knob on the Eagle Optics binoculars, but that is personal preference.

If you have the $180, really go for that pair.  You won't regret it.  You'll use them even if for some crazy reason you don't love getting in to birding.  The $80 is fine if you want to save money to start.  If you upgrade down the road, you'll have a nice backup pair to keep in the car at all times.

Craig Thayer

• : 299
« #5 : June 13, 2013, 08:58:37 AM »
Another vote for Eagle Optics. If you have time, drive to Middleton (suburb of Madison) to visit the store where you can compare binos in person

Steve Gent

• : 610
« #6 : June 14, 2013, 11:40:19 AM »
Pay Eagle Optics a visit and check out the bins in person.  The staff are very good, and very helpful.  Buy the best you can afford.  You can always trade up later to a better pair.  It took me a few years to get to a brand new pair of Swarovski's.  I did buy some used ones before hand, which served me well. 

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link