www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: Neotropic Cormorant - Hennepin Hopper  ( 3688 )

Eric Secker

• : 289
Neotropic Cormorant - Hennepin Hopper
« : June 27, 2013, 09:50:35 AM »
Pete Moxon just found a Neotropic Cormorant at Hennepin a short while ago.  He forwarded this e-mail below and a photo.  He and DuPage birders Glenn and Kyle also found two COMMON LOONS, 5 LEAST BITTERN, and 2 first year FORSTER'S TERNS.  I've posted one of the photos on IBF at the link below:

Eric Secker
Elgin, Kane Co.

----- Forwarded Message From Pete Moxon ------

I just found a NECO (NEOTROPIC CORMORANT) @ Hennepin. He's more toward the south end. A couple hundred feet after passing underneath a large semi-downed tree - over the trail,- the trail opens up on the right and there's some dead trees with cattails around them just beyond that the woods would line goes out to the edge of the marsh.

Directly out from this open area is a large mat of veg. and algae and there is one small stump sticking out. The bird is sitting on that stump which is barely visible above the water.

The birds are approximately 200 feet from the edge of the cattails. The edge of the water is approximately a 130 feet away from the trail.

Steve Gent

• : 610
Re: Neotropic Cormorant - Hennepin Hopper
« #1 : June 27, 2013, 03:44:07 PM »
Took a chance and went for this guy.   It was not easy to get a view of the lake form the south end.  However after some searching I did pick up the bird in flight.  The overall small-ish size and long-tailed look were apparent in flight.  It didn't stick around however and disappeared behind the trees.  I did briefly pick it up again before it was lost to view.  We did not relocate it before we left.  The bird was seen at around 2pm.

Eric Secker

• : 289
« #2 : June 29, 2013, 12:26:46 PM »
Here are two more pictures that Pete sent me of the Neotropic Cormorant.

Steve Gent

« #3 : June 29, 2013, 12:51:20 PM »
Did anyone else manage to see this bird?

Benjamin Murphy

• : 830
    • murphbirder
« #4 : June 30, 2013, 09:27:53 PM »
Joseph Phipps and I went to the Dixon Waterfowl Refuge today and saw the Neotropic Cormorant at around 3:30 p.m.  You could see the bird from the little deck by the parking lot.  It was too far to see the white V on the face without the scope, but the long tail was a dead giveaway.

Neotropic and Double-crested Cormorants at Dixon Waterfowl Refuge 01 by murphbirder, on Flickr

Joe and I hiked along the trail and were able to get closer looks; although, the closer we got, the more backlit the bird was.

Neotropic and Double-crested Cormorants at Dixon Waterfowl Refuge 06 by murphbirder, on Flickr

Neotropic and Double-crested Cormorants at Dixon Waterfowl Refuge 07 by murphbirder, on Flickr

There were also two Caspian Terns, three Forster's, and a Ring-billed Gull that could be seen by the little deck, and Common Gallinules could be heard from the deck (does anyone else prefer "moorhen"?)

Caspian Tern and Forster's Terns at Dixon Waterfowl Refuge by murphbirder, on Flickr

I was there yesterday as well and saw five Forster's Terns and this Common Loon.

Common Loon at Dixon Waterfowl Refuge by murphbirder, on Flickr

I also spotted flying Least Bitterns both days.  I was unable, however, to spot any Yellow-headed Blackbirds from the tower either time.  Are they more conspicuous in the morning?

RLShonkwiler

• : 854
« #5 : July 01, 2013, 08:03:41 AM »
I prefer "Moorhen."  I heard my lifer Purple Gallinule in Mississippi before I saw it.  I didn't know its call at the time but I figured it was a "moorhen" (like its relative was called at the time), because it sounded a lot like a chicken!  Sure enough, a Purple Gallinule soon climbed out and walked around the plants on the edge of the marsh.

Randy

Emily Walker

• : 116
  • Illinois #288 - Mottled duck
    • Bird Ephemera
« #6 : July 07, 2013, 03:03:58 PM »
I also prefer the term moorhen. It suits the bird better.

And in case anyone is curious, as of today around 11:00, the neotropic cormorant is still hanging out. It was about halfway down the Seep Trail. I also saw one of the loons, a bunch of coots, a pied-billed grebe, some ring billed gulls and two Forster's terns. I don't normally just check off the bird I'm going for and then run, but it was getting really hot and not a lot was going on, bird-wise. Still, it was a great view of a species I didn't expect to see anytime soon.

Emily
If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows. -- Henry Ward Beecher

Keith A. McMullen

« #7 : July 07, 2013, 06:56:48 PM »
Dixon Waterfowl Refuge? Benjamin, curious where this name came into the mix for Hennepin-Hopper? The city/town/village of Dixon is no where near this area, correct?

Inquiring minds would like to know :)

Thanks,

Keith

PS: By the way, nice pics!  I especially enjoyed the shot of the LOON!

Greg Neise

• Administrator
  • : 4439
  • IBF Owner/Administrator
    • In Plain Sight Communication
« #8 : July 07, 2013, 07:13:21 PM »
Dixon Waterfowl Refuge? Benjamin, curious where this name came into the mix for Hennepin-Hopper? The city/town/village of Dixon is no where near this area, correct?

Inquiring minds would like to know :)

Thanks,

Keith

PS: By the way, nice pics!  I especially enjoyed the shot of the LOON!

The official name is: Dixon Waterfowl Refuge at Hennepin & Hopper Lakes

Named for Sue and Wes Dixon, who I assume were/are major donors or land contributors.

http://bit.ly/182J4j6
"Only the impossible always happens"
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Keith A. McMullen

« #9 : July 16, 2013, 07:59:56 AM »
I ran into Dan Williams at Hennepin-Hopper yesterday and although we BOTH, saw an excellent candidate for the NEOTROPIC CORMORANT, neither of us are counting it. We saw it from the observation tower looking S. It was on a very small rock/stick (something) immediately W of the area with all the trees/stumps. We were thinking it was time to go back to the boat ramp area and scope from there, but we continued scoping the main area for maybe 2-3 more minutes when Dan scopes the area where the lone CORMORANT was sitting and you guessed it, the bird was gone!

We did see 3 definite DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS pretty much due W of the observation tower in the main body of water.

Hopefully, I'll have another chance and have better luck. We were pretty certain this bird looked good, but at that disance, one really could not be 100% certain.

Good birdings,

Keith

Steve Gent

« #10 : July 16, 2013, 11:53:39 AM »
It seems to favor the seep trail end.  I got a flight view first time round and saw it well at the second time of asking.  The time we did see it well it was close to shore on a stump.  Even then we missed it on the way down, but found it  on the way back. 

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link