www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

Author Topic: 2nd or 3rd year Eagle? How to tell?  (Read 312 times)

lecodha

2nd or 3rd year Eagle? How to tell?
« on: July 13, 2013, 08:18:15 PM »
Found a pair of Bald Eagles this evening at Rend Lake in southern Jefferson County. How can you tell their age? I figure either second or third year and would guess third year because of the amount of yellow on the beak. Is this the best or only way to tell or can one differentiate between 2nd and 3rd year Eagles by sight?
Jon Williams

Robert D. Hughes

• Administrator
    • The Orniphile
Re: 2nd or 3rd year Eagle? How to tell?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 02:15:22 PM »
I'd call it a second year (born in 2012) bird. Only second and third year Bald Eagles have white backs like this bird. A third year Bald Eagle would have more yellow on the bill and more white in the crown.

Robert D. Hughes
Chicago, Illinois
"I have firmly decided to bite the dust with a minimum of medical assistance when my time comes, and up to then to sin to my wicked heart's content."

- Albert Einstein

Robert D. Hughes

• Administrator
    • The Orniphile
Re: 2nd or 3rd year Eagle? How to tell?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 07:50:48 AM »
I should have mentioned that the Clark and Wheeler photographic guide to North American raptors contains detailed information on aging Bald Eagles, as well as other NA diurnal birds of prey. It's well worth owning.

Robert D. Hughes
Chicago, Illinois
"I have firmly decided to bite the dust with a minimum of medical assistance when my time comes, and up to then to sin to my wicked heart's content."

- Albert Einstein

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link