www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

Author Topic: Winter wren- corner of Illinois and State!  (Read 187 times)

Matthew Hejna

Winter wren- corner of Illinois and State!
« on: October 19, 2013, 06:05:00 PM »
Saw an awesome little winter wren hopping around the corner of Illinois and State downtown, obviously surprised to see him, didnt have the camera ready, but then he disappeared down the sewer grate! I thought, what an awesome place for a wren to live, always warm, lots of bugs, he can traverse the entire city only having to worry about getting eaten by a rat!

You never know what you'll see......

-Matthew

Eric Secker

Re: Winter wren- corner of Illinois and State!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 09:29:05 PM »
Very neat observation Matthew. It's really interesting to think about just how far this bird might actually traverse through a city sewer.  They certainly aren't afraid to explore dark places.

I've enjoyed watching them craw inside the end of a hollow log and then pop out of a hole in the middle a minute later.

I also had one here along the Fox River in Kane Co. this morning, though nothing as interesting as your observation.

Thanks for sharing.

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link