www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

Author Topic: Mississippi River Eagles: Lock and Dam 14  (Read 7981 times)

Greg Neise

• Administrator
  • IBF Owner/Administrator
    • In Plain Sight Communication
Mississippi River Eagles: Lock and Dam 14
« on: November 28, 2007, 06:50:10 PM »
From about December through February you can view American Bald Eagles in great quantity here. They're really close to you too! They're in the trees right behind your car in the parking lot. You can watch them take off right above your heads, flying out to the nearby dam to fish. Outstanding photographs are possible here.  (MAP)
"Only the impossible always happens"
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

petite

• Fledgeling
Re: Mississippi River Eagles: Lock and Dam 14
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 05:20:18 AM »
That is a great place to see Bald Eagles.  My husband got this picture of one as it flew over our car.

Frank Angileri

• Fledgeling
    • Pbase Gallery
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 06:17:17 AM »
I am planning to visit L&D #13, #14 and #15 (Concord Street location) tomorrow and Thursday. I will be happy to report back with numbers and some pictures.

Happy Holidays....

Frank
See you out there.......

Frank

merlyn9

• Fledgeling
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 08:38:46 PM »
I am planning to visit L&D #13, #14 and #15 (Concord Street location) tomorrow and Thursday. I will be happy to report back with numbers and some pictures.

Happy Holidays....

Frank

So Frank... How was the viewing?

I'm highly considering heading out this weekend (more Sun on Saturday though...) to shoot some eagle for this winter season.
Weather wise, it's suppose to be near 20, so that's good.  Now if I can just wrangle something around my broken foot to keep it dry and warm.

I've been excited over the high counts I've been getting especially between L&D 13, 14, & 15.  this could be a banner weekend.
Good thing I bought two additional 12GB cards!

Let us know & see how your trip was.

thanks;

---michael

Frank Angileri

• Fledgeling
    • Pbase Gallery
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 07:53:26 PM »
Hey Michael,

L&D #13 is loaded with eagles and the viewing is nice from the platform. I would rate the photography access as only fair since the lock wall blocks a good shot of an eagle fishing. L&D #14 has a fair amount of eagles, but we were there around noon-ish and they were hunkered down in the trees and extremely difficult to view/photograph. Our best viewing and photographing was down on Concord Street, the number of eagles was around 150 or so and the viewing/photography was excellent. I'm heading to Concord Street on Wednesday, afternoons are best for photography. Have a peek at my gallery (www.pbase.com/eng45ine) , scroll down to Illinois Birding, then scroll down to view my eagle shots from last week.

Happy New Year Michael and to all on these boards
See you out there.......

Frank

Frank Angileri

• Fledgeling
    • Pbase Gallery
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 07:56:41 PM »
Here's an image that I thought I'd post here.....enjoy!

See you out there.......

Frank

petite

• Fledgeling
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 06:00:36 PM »
Oh my, excellent pics!  I can only aspire to get those kinds of shots. 

We have been to Concord Street for the past few weeks as it is pretty close to where we live and have seen so many eagles.  We can only get out on the weekends because we go to work when it's dark and come home when it's dark, so we are forced to go only two days a week.  So far the weekends have been fairly crappy weatherwise for any good pictures.  Your shots are all amazing!

Can I ask where you saw the owls?  I have only ever seen one (at Credit Island) and didn't get a shot of it, but sure would like to see one if I knew where to look.

Thanks for sharing your pictures.  They are amazing.

Frank Angileri

• Fledgeling
    • Pbase Gallery
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 12:35:37 PM »
If you are referring to the owls in my Pbase gallery, the Great Horned Owls were roosted in a tree directly in front of the Kane County Courthouse in Geneva, IL.
See you out there.......

Frank

Frank Angileri

• Fledgeling
    • Pbase Gallery
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 09:51:37 AM »
The BALD EAGLE population is outstanding along the Mississippi River these days. I visited L&D #13, #14 and #15 this weekend and the birds are very congregated and active. Now is the time to grab your spotting scope and camera and make the drive to the IL/IA border to view these beautiful creatures.
See you out there.......

Frank

rowrlm

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 09:50:00 AM »
Beauitful eagle shots.  Just amazing.   

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link