www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

Author Topic: Lake County Pelicans!  (Read 383 times)

beauschaefer

Lake County Pelicans!
« on: March 09, 2014, 04:25:18 PM »
  Had some nice signs of spring this afternoon from 4:15-5:45p. In that time I did a quick scan of open water in the Fox Lake area. Behind the Mexican Restaurant were about 150 COMMON MERGANSERS, 3 AM. COOT, and FOY RING-NECKED DUCK (m). Also on the ice with around 55 HERRING GULLS were 5 BALD EAGLES (2 ad., 3 juv).
  There were a lot of gulls on the ice between the Rt.12 overpass and Docker's Restaurant but I didn't have time to pick through them all. Behind Docker's was the Bird O' the Day, AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN....8 of them. This is about 2.5 weeks earlier than I've ever seen them in Lake County. Also had 3 RED-WINGED BLACKBIRDS on Grass Lake Rd. on the way home and a NORTHERN SHRIKE on Cedar Lake Rd opposite the Grant Woods parking lot. Pretty nice 90 minutes of birding today!
Beau Schaefer

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link