items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: Birding Blitz 2014 Results  ( 1089 )

Keith A. McMullen

• : 854
Birding Blitz 2014 Results
« : April 27, 2014, 04:50:12 PM »
Hey Gang,

Before the stormy weather knocks out our internet I wanted to post the results of this year's Southernmost Illinois Birding Blitz. You'll all be the first to know as I haven't yet posted to IBET!

Rhonda Rothrock, Vicki Lang, Don Mullison and Steve Juhlin won the Muscle Powered category with a nice total of 117 species.
Congrats to Nelda Hinckley, Dennis Hale and the rest of their team for winning the Senior Category with 80 species.
Steve Bailey and Craig Taylor bested Trevor Hinckley and Joe Merkelbach in the County Category 133 to 130 species. Congrats also to Geoff and Chris Williamson and their TEAM COS with a 3rd place finish in the County Category at 118 species.
Finally, in the Open A, true Big Day category, Leroy Harrison and myself tallied 159 species while Pete Moxon, Jude Vickery and Matt Wistrand listed 149 for their total. Congrats also to Jeff Smith, Joan Norek, Steve Juelett and Phil Doncheck with their 113 species.

The total species count for the event yesterday was 187 species, including 29 warblers, 15 shorebirds, 11 waders including White-faced Ibis, 2 Anhinga, mating Broad-winged Hawks (ask Craig and Steve for the PG-13 version!), Chuck's and Whip's, 4 owl species including Barn Owl from 3 groups, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher (2013 Johnson County location), Yellow-billed Cuckoo (2 groups), Bell's Vireo, Blue-headed Vireo, Red-breasted Nuthatch (several groups), Bobolinks, lingering Rusty Blackbirds and a late Purple Finch (good job Geoff and Chris!).

All in all, we had excellent weather, roughly $2000 dollars in donations and pledges with more to come and a good time was had by all.

This crazy roller coaster of a spring had many of us wondering what we might find and it proved tough at times, but rewarding at others.

Good spring birding to all! Trust me, the neotropical migrants are really picking up in the Shawnee so they're headed to a birding location close to you very soon!

Keith McMullen
Captain, 13 years running
Southern Illinois Hotshots (thanks, Joe!) We haven't come up with a new team name yet :)

Rhonda R

• : 164
Re: Birding Blitz 2014 Results
« #1 : April 30, 2014, 07:30:50 AM »
Keith, thanks for posting the results. I took a few minutes and made a file of the species list, team totals, and team participants. I hold attaching it as a pdf is ok.
"ooh, ooh, stepped in pooh" -phonetic/mnemonic of the Swainson's warbler song as per Bob Behrstock and the late David Markley from 'On The Warblers of Texas'.

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link