www.flickr.com
items in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos More in Illinois Birder's Forum Photos pool

: Breathable clothing for avoiding heat exhaustion?  ( 1346 )

Matt Wistrand

• : 305
  • Common Ground-Dove—IL #324
Breathable clothing for avoiding heat exhaustion?
« : August 25, 2014, 09:22:21 AM »
I was wondering what type of clothing everyone wears when spending hours birding places like Chautauqua? In the past I've always worn jeans and a long-sleeve shirt with a Tilley hat, and have been fine. But yesterday I got worse heat exhaustion than I ever have in my life while birding Chautauqua; I just couldn't seem to cool off and replace water quickly enough. Are there any particular shirts/pants you have used that you would recommend? Thanks in advance!

Greg Neise

• Administrator
  • : 4439
  • IBF Owner/Administrator
    • In Plain Sight Communication
Re: Breathable clothing for avoiding heat exhaustion?
« #1 : August 25, 2014, 11:27:44 AM »
Patagonia's tropical flyfishing clothing is excellent.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/shop/fly-fishing?k=3g&ps=2
"Only the impossible always happens"
- - R. Buckminster Fuller

Fran Morel

• ILRBA TEST
  • : 1277
« #2 : August 25, 2014, 12:33:55 PM »
Matt, you probably know this, but jeans are thick cotton, and just about the hottest thing out there....unless they were flannel-lined.  Hiking pants are much lighter and dry quicker.....

also, if you want built in bug protection, these actually work well, and can be washed 70 times (repels ticks, etc):

http://www.exofficio.com/products/details/mens-bugsaway-ziwa-convertible-pant-long-length

Matt Wistrand

• : 305
  • Common Ground-Dove—IL #324
« #3 : August 26, 2014, 08:39:20 AM »
Many thanks to both of you.

Fran: yes, I knew that jeans weren't ideal, but they were all I had, and it took long enough for that foolish decision to catch up with me that I just kept wearing them.

Join the ABA

ABA Bird of the Year

Help the Illinois Birders' Forum remain one of the best birding forums on the net. A small donation of any amount goes a long way.

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Hunting Optics from Eagle Optics affiliate_link